4 days out

melarayalet
on 10/24/17 4:05 pm

I had my surgery 10/20/17. I was in the hospital for 3 days after, with horrible pain. I came home yesterday and am on the clear liquid diet. I keep having all these second thought about if I made the right decision. And if I tell people or not, I'm not sure I want people knowing. Has anyone else felt this way? Idk if it's just me or if this is normal. And how do you get through this diet?! I'm really struggling. Any advice would be appreciated!

Gwen M.
on 10/24/17 6:24 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It's definitely not abnormal - but you can't change your decision now and a year from now you'll probably not even remember how you felt!

The liquid diet just sucks, there's really no good way else to put it. But it'll be worth it in the end.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

melarayalet
on 10/25/17 6:47 am

Thank you!

branflakes
on 10/25/17 3:43 am
VSG on 10/10/17

Hi, I had my VSG done 10/10/17, so I'm not far ahead of you. I lost 13lbs my first week -- that made the liquid diet bearable. I haven't lost anything this week, so freaking out a little, but I have so much more energy and feel way better. I definitely felt unsure and questioned my decision the first several days (especially day 2 with all the nausea and pain,) but I definitely feel more certain now that the surgery feel of it all is done. I think you are totally normal in your feelings. The worst part of the diet at first for me was food still smells so good! Everyone was eating around me and I would get mad that I felt hungry because it smelled good. Now I can actually make the food for my family without that happening, so it gets better. Hang tough through the first 2 weeks, you can do it!

NoraM13
on 10/25/17 3:49 am
VSG on 08/21/17

I had a similar experience - I lost 10 lb in the first week, and nothing the second. It's just the dreaded three week stall coming early.

5'2" VSG: 8/21/17 HW: 261 SW:243 CW: 193

Pre-Op: 15 M1: 19.8 M2: 10.5 M3: 13.7

branflakes
on 10/25/17 3:52 am
VSG on 10/10/17

Thanks Nora! I was afraid I was doing something wrong, but seriously, what could I be doing wrong? I eat nothing but broth based soups and 0 percent yogurt. Crazy. I appreciate the reassurance.

melarayalet
on 10/25/17 6:47 am

Thank you so much!

Valerie G.
on 10/25/17 11:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here's my take on what to tell people, and before I do so, I'll say you have a right to your privacy, but I'll throw in a big BUT! With that BUT comes the next part:

BUT the truth always comes out.

Next, how will people react when you lied or were elusive at first about why you disappeared for a few weeks and suddenly started dropping weight?

Friends and family may be hurt that you did not trust them to support you as you went through this trying time, and you denied them the chance to cheer you on.

Colleagues will view you as a liar, which could be career suicide as they look at you later and gauge your integrity.

Then we have the people in both camps who have their own weight struggles. They may downright resent you for making themselves feel unworthy or failures because they are not losing weight at the same speed and degree that you are. Had you shared, they may not be so hard on themselves, or they may have been inspired as they witnessed your success. You will have denied them that, and they might get PISSED.

Now again, you are well in your right to say nothing, however, they will be within their right for their reaction to that decision, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

melarayalet
on 10/25/17 11:08 am, edited 10/25/17 4:08 am
Most Active
Recent Topics