What made you finally decide to have the surgery?

bridget1970
on 10/16/17 9:10 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17

For me, it was having the Lap Band for 7 years w/o significant success. There was also my high blood pressure, an elevated A1c level, I didn't wan't to ever be an embarrassment to my son, I wanted to be able to fit into my wedding dress again if I were to try it on and the early death of a friend of mine who had so many health problems.

Notaboutperfect
on 10/16/17 9:37 am
VSG on 11/08/16

So many straws on this camel's back. I'd spent a lifetime struggling to lose weight, but continually gaining each year. I didn't like myself, couldn't do the things I wanted to do, I had hip pain, knee pain, and daily headaches. My dad was dx'd with diabetes. I had a five year old who wanted me to play...

Two+ years ago I was dx'd with BED and I still didn't consider VSG. Over time, through therapy and working with my primary I decided it was a good option. I'm 40, if I could go back to my 20s knowing what I know now and have the VSG, I absolutely would!! I'm not sure I would cheri**** the same? But, to be younger and a normal weight?!? heck yeah!

But, we're all a work in progress. Whatever you decide will be the right decision.

theAntiChick
on 10/16/17 9:57 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I have auto-immune arthritis, and we'd been through most of the treatment options short of biologics and that was next. I'd been toying with the idea for some time and knew that once on biologics, surgery becomes problematic because of having to stop treatment for a time before and after surgery. My rheumatologist when I asked about it, was enthusiastic about VSG because it wasn't a guarantee, but many of her patients had reduced inflammation after VSG because of the stomach tissue that's removed as well as the weight loss being better overall and specifically for the joints.

My only regret is not having done it years ago. My auto-immune is currently in remission, and my health while still problematic, is better than it's been in years and years.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/16/17 10:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I finally decided to go forward with surgery when my psychiatrist suggested it. I had gained a good deal of weight after a series of med changes, and was contemplating stopping all of my bipolar meds (NOT a good idea) because I was in such poor health. I was on a CPAP and had high blood pressure that was barely controlled by meds.

Hearing a medical expert say, "hey, this could make a HUGE improvement in your quality of life" took all of the shame out of it, and convinced my husband that it wasn't a ridiculous idea.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kristi T.
on 10/16/17 10:48 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

My tipping point was Christmas 2015, traveled to stay with my brother and his family. Went to the store with my nieces(teenagers) and they asked me to stay in the car. When I wouldn't, they walked ahead of me instead of with me. I realized they were embarrassed to be with me, I was devastated. I realize they were teenagers at the time, but I didn't want to feel that way ever again. Began the process of getting the VSG as soon as I got home, had it done a year later.

tlh4life
on 10/16/17 10:53 am
VSG on 04/11/17

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I was right on the boarder. My A1c and fasting glucose just met the criteria for diabetes. I'm six months post-op and am no longer in the diabetes range and no more metformin.

Jeepnyak
on 10/16/17 11:05 am, edited 10/16/17 4:06 am
VSG on 07/03/17

I was denied rides on roller coasters last year, it bothered me a lot. I have done plenty of ropes courses and zip line above 300 pounds because I was physically fit enough(was still built like a college lineman). Well, earlier this year (January)I started planning birthday surprises(April) to take my wife and kids to an indoor skydiving experience. I called ahead. I weighed 320 at the time. And said I would have to weigh under 300. Challenge accepted. I low carbed it all the way to April. Every day under 10g. I got down to 270! We went to do the skydiving and I got denied bc there wasn?t enough slack in the suit for the instructor to hold on to. So I was sidelined. Over the course of the next month I was back up to 296. Can you say yo-yo? Then some Devine intervention happened. Our chiropractor friend walked into our local coffee shop. He looked amazing and healthy. I asked what he did, gave me his Dr?s info. He had the DS, we decided that was too much for me. And the rest is history. I won't be sidelined bc of my size again.

HW:320 SW:290 GW:190 CW:181

5'11", age 37 M1-28, M2-12, M3-16,

M4-15, M5-16, M6-5

M7-8(100lb goal) M8-4 M9-0

M10-5 M11-3 M12-0

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/17 3:48 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

Motherhood was my tipping point. Suddenly I had this precious tiny human who was inevitably going to copy my eating habits and lifestyle choices and I want his life to be wonderful and his body to be healthy.

Laura in Texas
on 10/16/17 6:14 pm

I adopted both of my kids as a single mom. I had just gotten home with my daughter who was born in China and I was completely exhausted. Chasing after 2 toddlers while weighing 339 pounds was torture! I knew I could not be a good mom if I could not keep up with them. Plus I could not imagine anyone else raising them if I died. I knew right then and there I had to get healthy for them AND me.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Paige7
on 10/16/17 6:26 pm

Laura,

You are awesome! What a great story and what a great mom you are!

Paige

Most Active
Recent Topics