Would you do VSG again?

Paige7
on 10/14/17 11:51 am

GO TERRYLYNN GO!!! That's awesome! I am so happy things are going so well for you and appreciate you responding.

Is recovery what you thought it would be?

Paige

terrylynnishere
on 10/14/17 1:24 pm

I made an effort not to set any expectations on how easy, or difficult my recovery would be, and went in completely open-minded to do whatever it took to get through my recovery process. Fortunately I had few complications once I left the hospital, and stayed ahead of pain control for a few days until I could tolerate the discomfort unaided. I sipped , walked and got the gas out of my system in the first days after surgery and most importantly rested in between. Within a few days I wa****ting my protein and water goals, and have had smooth sailing since.

I noticed the first nsv's pretty quickly, and have been having such an amazing experience overall.

Remember that everyone's journey is different. Focus on YOU, and stick to the plan that has been given and you'll do great.

Terry

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/14/17 4:41 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

VSG was absolutely the best thing I ever did for my health and many other reasons. I SO wish I had done it sooner. I had a lot of concerns about maintenance when I was first researching as well. I've been in maintenance for almost a year now and here are some the major differences from previous "diets" (over the years I had MANY and got to goal a number of times, but never kept it off - just got higher every time):

• I was able to establish an eating routine and planning mechanisms while I was losing the weight and have continued that routine.
  • I can't eat too much as long as I start with dense protein (enough is enough and there is no room for more). As long as I keep following that rule (dense protein first - protein snacks), it keeps me from overreating. I have to keep in mind that simple carbs (bread, cookies, pretzels, etc.) can be eaten without any restriction (they break down so fast they just zoom right through).
  • I leverage OH and in person support all the time for great support and ideas. The daily support on OH has been key for me (and a lot of my favorite foods come from other people's menus)
  • My tastes have changed somewhat toward more healthy foods: I crave fish now. I used to eat it sometimes, but it was never a first choice.

There are more reasons why I am so glad I had VSG, but these are the main ones and I need to get going on my day. Best of luck to you in making your decision!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Paige7
on 10/14/17 11:45 am

Hi Liz,

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate all you said. You look amazing!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/14/17 1:34 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Thank you. And good luck again!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

reree6898
on 10/14/17 5:52 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Yes, I would do it again without a doubt. This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself in my life. I am active and I don't hurt all the time, my issues with my feet and the horrid IBSD that I dealt with for years is gone. My blood pressure that was borderline high has been steady at the low end of normal. I am grateful every day for this gift. I had done so many diet attempts over the years and for me I'd always end up eventually failing because I gave in to the hunger I felt. I have been able to be very successful with the surgery because of the restriction I feel and so while I do still get hungry I am able to manage it and I eat very, very small amounts and am satisfied with that. I do exercise a few days a week but I like it now and my body feels good when I do. To keep myself in check I weigh myself every morning and I weigh and measure everything I eat and log every bite into my fitness pal. Some people find success without doing that but for me I have to keep myself accountable.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Paige7
on 10/14/17 11:41 am

That is awesome! Do you find it hard to keep the weight off?

reree6898
on 10/14/17 5:04 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I am just at two years out but have been maintaining the same weight for the last several months now. As long as I keep myself accountable I have no issue maintaining.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Paige7
on 10/14/17 7:13 pm

That's fantastic! Thanks for all you have shared with me. You are awesome!

Paige

reree6898
on 10/14/17 7:59 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Any time, glad to help!

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Most Active
Recent Topics