HELP!!!! Pre-op VSG.....More anxious then a long tailed cat in a room full or rocking...

A. Foxter
on 10/6/17 11:09 am
VSG on 10/19/17

I am very anxious. I have been overweight my whole life, and have failed and failed at dieting until the point where my weight is now having a deleterious affect on my life. I am too tired/heavy to run around with my children, always tired, and I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. My doctor says I am not-yet hypertensive, not-yet diabetic, but my BP has been creeping up, and my Hemoglobin A1C (marker for diabetes) is creeping up.

I am scheduled for VSG in 2 weeks, and I am Fearful. I am looking forward to the lifestyle change, that's not the problem....but will I ever be able to go to a restaurant with friends/family again? Will I be belching and belching in public? Will I feel "abnormal" afterwards?

It's like I have two parts of my brain. (No, not the two that argue about if I should or shouldn't eat that donut). One part is logical and knows that this is the right course of action right now. My weight is a health problem, and I need to take decisive action. I have done everything pre-op I needed to do, and I am ready to change my life for the better!

The other half of my brain keeps reminding me of medical errors and all the things that can go wrong, keeps telling me that I am so woefully undisciplined that I cannot control what I put in my mouth that I have to have my stomach stapled shut.

I realize that feeling conflicted is a part of life, and that we all feel this way at times....

It's not that I am ambivalent about the procedure. I am definitely going ahead with my VSG, and I am eager to embrace a healthier lifestyle...I guess I'm just nervous

Kathy S.
on 10/6/17 1:45 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!?

It's normal to feel this way before surgery. Hang in there!

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

A. Foxter
on 10/6/17 3:51 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

Thank you for your support and your empathy. Deeply appreciated.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/6/17 2:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A LOT of people feel like this before surgery. I sure did! My surgeon said it was actually a good sign-- it meant I understood that this is a big deal, and a permanent lifestyle change.

I was in a very similar situation to you. High BP and sleep apnea, numbers not dangerous but creeping up. I feel SO much better after surgery! I have lots of energy to chase my toddler, ride my bike all over the place, and do what I want to now.

To address a few of your concerns:

You will absolutely be able to eat at restaurants. You'll be doing a modified diet for about 4 - 6 weeks post op as your stomach heals, but after that you can find things at pretty much any restaurant you go to. Baked chicken, grilled fish, steak, and whatnot are all WLS-friendly and widely available. You'll be eating smaller portions than others, but nobody will really notice.

Gas isn't usually a problem. Some people have trouble with gas if/when they start drinking carbonated beverages (generally at least 6 months post-op), but that's about the extent of it.

While I have to be vigilant about what I eat, I don't think I'm PHYSICALLY aware of my sleeve... unless I try to eat too much. If anything, I'm far less self-conscious about my body than I was when I was obese!

Yes, any surgery has risks. But as I understand it, WLS is no more dangerous than having something like a knee replacement. (Don't have the numbers at hand, but I'll share them if I can find them.) The risks of untreated obesity are FAR worse than the dangers of going under the knife!

Obesity is medically complicated. While willpower is part of the puzzle, things like genetic tendencies and gut metabolism are probably part of the problem at all. The good news is that research shows WLS is by FAR our best chance at losing weight, keeping it off, and staying healthy.

Surgery is scary before you have it done. You aren't 100% sure what to expect, and it's hard to understand what life will be like afterwards. It's an ENORMOUS lifestyle change, and any change-- even for the better-- is frightening!

The good news is that this forum is an amazing place for support, and we're all here to help you through your journey. I believe in you! You can do it!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

A. Foxter
on 10/6/17 3:54 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

Thank you kindly for the reply. You obviously took some time and put thought into it. And you are wise.... Change is always unsettling, but your words about chasing the toddler and going being able to dine in a restaurant are reassuring. Thank you.

carolw1229
on 10/8/17 6:34 pm
VSG on 10/18/17

I love your post and positive points of view. My VSG is October 18 and I'm glad I read your message. I'm nervous and having second thoughts. I hope all goes well. I have a great surgeon and he's taking out my horrible lap band. I'll post after ð?'?

Jess Says Yes
on 10/10/17 2:28 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

I too have surgery coming up in two weeks, and your reply is very reassuring. Thank you for the vicarious support ;)

Jess

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/10/17 2:28 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You can do this! I believe in you!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mirandia
on 10/6/17 3:34 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I go to restaurants. I often order off the kids menu or from the seniors section. If there isn't something that has smaller portions I will either have leftovers for later or just leave the extra food on the plate. Sometimes I can't even finish a kid's meal. No one really cares. But let's be honest here ... do YOU care all that much about what other people eat? Do you care if they don't finish everything and need to ask for a container to take home? I'm betting the answer will be "no." So don't think that anyone is going to look at you strangely ... because they won't be.

For example ... My family likes Five guys hamburgers. They don't have kids meals. My order is a little cheeseburger ... no mayo, I remove the top bun and fold the rest in half like its a taco ... roughly 440 calories ... but I can't finish the whole thing. I probably eat about 300 calories worth when we go. I don't have room for fries and soda is out as well.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

A. Foxter
on 10/6/17 3:56 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

I love you! Thank you for your reply, I think I'm starting to get the picture.

Most Active
Recent Topics