Tell me about your VSG experience!

JLH7RN
on 9/28/17 6:25 pm

Hello! I have been researching the VSG procedure, and I am taking the next step. I meet with the surgeon for the first time in a week. I'm a 39 year old female, mother of 2, and have been overweight most of my adult life. I have hypertension, high cholesterol, and I'm taking Wellbutrin for depression.

My husband is very supportive of me taking these next steps towards having VSG. Tell me about your experiences! was it worth it? Any tips and/or advice? Thank you!!

Gwen M.
on 9/29/17 5:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome!

Short answer: Super worth it, so happy I did it. Still a ton of hard work and constant vigilance. This is not a diet, this is forever. I highly recommend finding a therapist to work with because the surgery only changes your stomach, not your brain, and chances are it's your brain that caused you to gain weight, not your stomach.

Long answer: Read through as many forum posts here as you can, there's a ton of good information since this is the type of stuff we talk about all the time. I used my pre-op time to read ALL the posts in the VSG forum and it was time extremely well spent. I felt like there were no surprises when I got to surgery and I felt prepared.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/29/17 4:50 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hi & Welcome to the boards. Use the search feature & explore. Your question has been asked b4 & you can read a lot more posts that way rather than waiting for more replies. A lot of people here are pretty new with a few vets, so you might not get a lot of answers.

I have no regrets getting the VSG & is one of the best decisions I ever made.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/17 3:48 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Welcome and good luck. It has been so worth it to me. Like you'll hear from many others, my only regret is that I waited so long to do it. I was on blood pressure meds and Wellbutrin also and stopped taking both by my 6 month appointment. It has also helped signifcantly with back pain. Everyone's journey is a little different so follow the advice already given about reading up on the posts. I'm 9 months post op this week and feel amazing. Having said that, nothing about this is easy. It's a huge change in eating habits and psychology. Some days I really struggle but I wouldn't go back to my old ways for anything.

Most Active
Recent Topics