Skin Care in general

ViolentlyDelightful
on 9/19/17 12:34 pm, edited 9/19/17 12:48 pm
VSG on 07/14/17

Wondered if anyone had to change up their skin care routine post op. My face is dryer and just lacking any brightness. I honestly look older in general than from pictures taken a few months ago. Pre op, most people thought I was 8-10 years younger. Surgery date was 7/14/17. I thought maybe losing weight would improve my rosacea. This does not seem to be the case. I had oil skin and used to use Kat Von D liquid lock it foundation. It looked awful and creased almost immediately post op. Had my color matched and went with Makeup forever. It too is horrible.

I currently use Cetaphil cleanser but wondering maybe I should try something else. I'm very new to Hyaluronic acid, alpha hydroxies and all these other chemical names that are supposed to help with aging. I have no been officially diagnosed with Rosacea but that's what it appears to be. I have an appointment with a dermatologist on 10/5. Not sure if I should even bother with trying anything new until I see this doctor. I can honestly say that I'm not getting the appropriate water or protein which in itself may be the cause for aging. Sorry for the wall of text. Just wanted to lay it all out there.

Edit:

Pics

https://imgur.com/a/0VIpD

Gwen M.
on 9/19/17 12:37 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Lack of hydration can definitely be a culprit. Lack of fat in the diet can also be a culprit. Since you've got an appointment so soon, I recommend that you hold off on changing anything between now and then. It might almost be wise to stop using the products you're currently using well so that the dermatologist can get the best information possible.

Good luck!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

azmichy
on 9/19/17 1:23 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

I cannot remember from my original surgery, but my husband had VSG in April and for several months his arms and legs were dry and scaly. This is not something he ever had before. Now, he is 6 months out and his skin is looking great...all the dry skin has resolved. I have oily skin and I now use Philosophy Miracle Worker foundation. It's the only liquid I can use and it helps with the fine lines.

Lap Band 09/17/2003 HW-276 SW-225 LW-167

Revision to VSG 10/24/17 HW-244 SW-217.8 CW-179.6

Pre-op:0~M1:17~M2: 6.6~M3: 7.8~M4: 6.7

ViolentlyDelightful
on 9/19/17 8:00 pm
VSG on 07/14/17

I've honestly never tried anything from Philosophy. I'll check into that. Thank you

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/19/17 2:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Gwen is right, dehydration and lack of fat can definitely do a number on your skin! I'm not sure about inadequate protein, but that's Bad News for a number of other health reasons.

On top of that, our faces can seem to age after weight loss because we don't have so much fat filling out the skin. People often feel like they look gaunt after reaching goal (before weight re-distributes and settles), both because of the extra skin and because they just look DIFFERENT than they did pre-op. This could be part of the culprit as well.

If you want some hardcore facial lotion before hitting the dermatologist, I had good luck with Pond's. Bonus points for being cheap!

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/pond\'s-cream-dry-skin/ID= prod7474-product

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ViolentlyDelightful
on 9/19/17 7:59 pm
VSG on 07/14/17

Thank you. I'll check that out

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/20/17 6:03 am

You might find it helpful to keep a log of activities and food and your rosacea so you can link what may be triggering it. My rosacea improved after surgery because sugar is one thing that exacerbates mine.

I also recommended trying only one new product at a time, so you can assess your skin's reaction. All the ingredients you mentioned DO help, but you don't want to pile them on willy nilly.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Kristi T.
on 9/20/17 10:05 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

This happened to me about 14 mo post op. I began using organic cold pressed coconut oil at night, so far I have had good results. It's oily when you first apply it, buy absorbs quickly.

catwoman7
on 9/20/17 10:37 am
RNY on 06/03/15

a few months post-op, people started offering me senior discounts (I do qualify at some places, but I'd always looked young for my age, so I always had to ask - not vice versa!). So yes - looking older is common. It may be all of these things - lack of fat in the diet, dehydration, fat is no longer filling out the skin, etc.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Valerie G.
on 9/21/17 3:13 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hydration are definitely keys to a good complexion, but with you there is another element to the equation being that you're a few months post-op. Your body is just ramping up for some major weight loss because you are literally starving it. This alone could be affecting your complexion. Supplementation is vital. A year from now you may notice lines are deeper and your facial skin is droopier. This too is normal, but in the second year you'll notice these dramatic changes start to lessen as your body adjusts without the fat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active