Almost a year and only down 30

dmcs85
on 9/15/17 5:19 pm

since you have got the sleeve you have only lost 30lbs? I can't even imagine how frustrating that would be. you have spoke to your surgeon about this?

VSG 8/28/17

KEEP ON, KEEPING ON

Rushgirl2112
on 9/15/17 5:37 pm
VSG on 10/19/16

Yes I'm really frustrated with him and yes I am partly to blame as far as not being perfect with my tracking and exercise. I am on 2 thyroid meds and am going through menopause I had a hysterectomy 2 months before my sleeve. So I do a small dose of estrogen patch too. My chronic pain levels get do bad I can barely move. But I at least get up and walk around some. I had a microdiscetomy in 2014 and now that same disc is being compressed so bad I have spasms and I'm starting to lose feeling in my right leg and dropping stuff out of my right hand. I see a neurosurgeon in October. My Dr insists that everything is fine with my sleeve. All I can do is try harder. I need to see him again after my apnea surgery is done. I have been in and out of ER with nausea and pain from the umbilical hernia surgery I had in July. But they just do a quick cat scan say everything is fine and push me out the door.

NYMom222
on 9/16/17 4:36 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I was 56, hypothyroid and post total hysterectomy when I had WLS. Make sure your health and medications in those areas is in order as well.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

happyteacher
on 9/15/17 4:43 pm

Lots of good suggestions here... just would like to add that when you track your food precisely along with that track your medication amounts and time. I had a lot of medical issues also, and it took some time for me to realize that some of the steroids caused a sharp spike in eating. Once armed with that knowledge when I was put on them, I knew to switch my diet to the lowest calorie options and keep fresh veggies on hand for the spike in eating. I didn't lose during the steroid part- but I also didn't gain so that was a total win. So track your meds and see if after a while you notice a pattern of increased or decreased calories when taking/stopping them.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

missc_26
on 9/16/17 4:08 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Great suggestion.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/17 9:08 am

VSG is mostly restrictive surgery.

Unfortunately for some people that is not enough to help them lose all the weight they need- want.

RNY and DS are not only limit the qty we can eat, but also change the metabolism through hormonal changes. At least what the studies showed.

You may be one of the people that needs more that just restrictive surgery.

Before I had RnY, I was on every diet possible, and I was able to lose weight, but never maintain. As I was getting older, with more issues, it was getting more difficult to lose weight. Maintenance? The moment I would stop the diet - I would start gaining the weight faster than I was losing it before. I think the show " Biggest loser" showed us that just diet and exercise is often not enough to lose and maintain.

Try to log all you eat. Be honest with yourself. But at the end - you may need either ds or rny to lose the rest of the weight.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/17 8:42 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

Hi Kat!

I know what it's like to deal with autoimmune disease while trying to lose weight. It has been a struggle for me as well and the main reason why I will be getting a VSG myself in about 9 hours.

One thing I would look into if I were you is your thyroid hormones. Being low can lead to all sorts of nasty symptoms that can mimic the pain of fibromyalgia and can also cause depression. Sometimes, it's really hard to sort it all out.

If you are not on both T3 and T4, I would suggest talking to your doctor about this. There is a lot of research that shows that people who get both T3 and T4 do better in many ways: better mood, decreased pain, increased energy, etc. While thyroid hormones do not make you lose weight, being too low can make it much harder to lose weight. The other thing I would suggest is that you make sure your doctor is not just testing your levels by doing a TSH. TSH is not a direct measure of thyroid function. It's much better to look at both Free T3 and Free T4 levels. I personally feel best when my levels are high in the normal range.

For someone who has a lot of symptoms that could be related to hypothyroidism, it's a must to ensure your doctor is working with you to ensure your thyroid levels are optimized. When you feel good and have increased energy, you'll be much more likely to get the exercise you need to keep symptoms at bay and support your weight loss.

I know you're going through a tough time. Take care of yourself and always remember to be a strong advocate for your health. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Rushgirl2112
on 9/17/17 11:49 pm
VSG on 10/19/16

Thank you and good luck with your surgery. I am on both thyroid meds. I see my endocrine Dr every 6 months. He may need to up the T3 he started me on a low dose to see how I do. Also hoping my sinus surgery will go well in about 8 hours so I can get a good night's rest without not being able to breathe. After I heal ill be back more in exercise and watch my portions and carb intake, more water, etc. I bought an Ulla but lost it I can put reminders on my phone. :)

MarinaGirl
on 9/18/17 10:07 am, edited 9/18/17 3:16 am

On September 18, 2017 at 6:49 AM Pacific Time, Rushgirl2112 wrote:

"Thank you and good luck with your surgery. I am on both thyroid meds. I see my endocrine Dr every 6 months. He may need to up the T3 he started me on a low dose to see how I do. Also hoping my sinus surgery will go well in about 8 hours so I can get a good night's rest without not being able to breathe. After I heal ill be back more in exercise and watch my portions and carb intake, more water, etc. I bought an Ulla but lost it I can put reminders on my phone. :)"

[Marinagirl]: I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (i.e. autoimmune hypothyroidism). I see my endocrinologist every 6 months but I get my labs done every 3 months so that in between visits he can adjust my medications (if necessary), which are synthetic forms of T3 & T4. This is the first doc that has paid such close attention to my levels AND symptoms. My previous endocrinologists and PCPs have just focused solely on whether I was in a normal range even when I had issues/symptoms with some normal range values. So for me, frequently tracking my values and making RX changes have made a positive difference.

I also make sure to take my thyroid medicine 4 hours before PPIs /antacids, calcium, and iron as they can all impact proper absorption.

I suggest you contact your MD to see about getting labs done sooner rather than later.

Good luck with your sinus surgery today!

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 2:20 pm

Same here. I could just scream

Most Active
Recent Topics