Restriction

Shannon S.
on 9/13/17 5:59 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I wondered if it would. My mother who had the RNY can eat pretty good size portions now. She has to work extremely hard to keep her weight off 10 years later. I know they are 2 different surgeries, but the stomach is the stomach (known to have eleasticity). I'll be sure to keep this in mind. Thank you for sharing.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/13/17 2:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You will be physically able to eat larger amounts of food over the course of the first year, as your sleeve heals and the swelling goes down. From my experience, for example:

• At three months, I could eat half an egg.
  • Around nine months out, I could eat an entire egg.
  • At 1.5 years post op, I could probably eat two eggs, but that might be pushing it.

It's important to note that your feeling of restriction will vary a LOT depending on the type of food you eat. At almost 4 years post-op, I can still eat only 3oz of chicken breast, but I'm physically able to eat an entire tub of Ben & Jerry's or a large bowl of pasta. You'll feel much less restriction with these carb-heavy "slider foods."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Shannon S.
on 9/13/17 6:03 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Oh yes I've heard about the slider foods, those will be the biggest challenge. I imagine any concentrated sweet would be on this list (which are my weakness). I will really have to be careful here. Thanks for sharing.

Valerie G.
on 9/14/17 10:15 am, edited 9/14/17 3:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had the DS back in 2005 and my stomach started out around 2oz. I couldn't eat more than a few bites at a time. Today, nearly 12 years later, I can eat 8-10oz in a sitting. I eat a normal portion, sometimes leaving some food behind because I'm full, sometimes not. That's 4x more than 2005, but not nearly as much as my stomach capacity was pre-op (average stomach size is that of a football).

So, to answer your question, you stomach will stretch "some", but you will always have a degree of restriction. It will never go back to the original size.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Shannon S.
on 9/14/17 4:26 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Very good to know. 8-10 oz of food doesn't seem like much. That's pretty awesome 12 years later. Thank you for responding.

Most Active
Recent Topics