Desperately Seeking VSG

T. Young
on 9/7/17 9:54 pm - Lusby, MD

Hello,

I am 36 years old and looking to have Gastric Sleeve surgery. I have BCBS(Blue Cross Blue Sheild)/Carefirst Administrators private insurance through my job. I also have Maryland Physicians Care as a secondary insurance. I am halfway through a 16 week nutrition program that I was referred to by my PCP after stating that I would like to have a VSG. I was referred to a surgeon and when I called them to set up my initial consultation, I was told that I had to call my primary insurance, BCBS, to see if I had Bariatric Coverage. Well, I do NOT have bariatric coverage and the surgeon I was referred to does not participate with Maryland Physicians Care at all. I just found this out today, September 7th 2017. Does anyone know of any other avenues I should take or any surgeons that are known to accept Maryland Physicians Care? I would be willing to travel if neccessary.

White Dove
on 9/7/17 10:49 pm - Warren, OH

Many companies save money be excluding bariatric surgery. One option is to look into self pay. Many people go to Mexico for weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

T. Young
on 9/7/17 11:35 pm - Lusby, MD

Thank you for that info! Early in my search I did find a clinic that had great reviews, great before and after gallery and when I started digging into the surgeon's background I learned the clinic was in Mexico! At this point, I am exploring all safe, reasonable, available options! Adios!

Valerie G.
on 9/8/17 7:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Maryland Physician's Care should be able to help you with this quest to find a surgeon.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Donna L.
on 9/8/17 2:38 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Yup. Any time you need a referral, call the company directly. They can help you find a surgeon. They also may have case management services, too, if needed.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active