Pain relief

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/15/17 5:43 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

No Advil. No NSAIDS.

Stick with Tylenol after surgery, even for a VSG.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Doyenne
on 8/15/17 11:37 pm

How about Lyrica and neurontin? The orthopedist is considering these as next possible options.

Problem is that a lot of non bariatric docs really do not know what is appropriate for a VSG patient.

Surgery date May 4, 2017

HW 290. Start weight 229. Day of Surgery 209. Month 2: 190. Month 3: 182. Month 4: 174. Month 5: 164. Month 6: 159. Month 7: 153. Month 8: 147. Month 9: 145. Month 10: 142. Month 11: 138 Month 12: 137. Month 13: 139 Month 14: 131. Month 15: 130. Month 16: 131. Month 17: 128. 162 pounds lost!!

Two year anniversary upon me in 3 days: 136. Need to lose a few pounds..

Donna L.
on 8/17/17 11:09 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Neurontin and lyrica are GABA analogue medications, and aren't painkillers/analgesics in the same sense. They actually don't know how GABA analogues work yet. GABA is a neurotransmitter, and it likely has something to do with the synthesis of GABA, or the mechanism for it, anyway. It does not work like opioids and they do not reduce inflammation.

As for whether they work or not, that's highly individual and, it depends on the type of pain. Not everyone reacts the same.

I need two knee replacements and have degenerative disk disease, because even though I've lost hundreds of pounds, being 750+ is not good for anyone, obviously. I function without taking daily pain killers.

Now, that isn't for everyone, don't get me wrong. And, if you have intolerable pain you absolutely should treat it (women, if you are a woman, are often under-treated for pain in general which is total crap). However, I found that I have been able to keep my inflammation low through a strict diet.

I still get pain, don't get me wrong. And I basically eat meat, veggies, and cardboard...also don't get me wrong. I was honestly shocked at the difference it made, though I was exceptionally skeptical at first, being more science-forward and less hippie-forward.

My point is, don't freak out if you can't use NSAIDs. There are tons of options for us without them.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

AggieMae
on 8/16/17 10:14 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I take 900 mg of neurontin a day. Haven't had any problems with it. Probably something to discuss with your medical provider.

Mirandia
on 8/19/17 2:17 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I was told Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and topical nsaids (like Aspercream) are ok.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Most Active
Recent Topics