Are these anxieties before VSG to be expected?

Phoenix17
on 8/6/17 9:12 pm
VSG on 09/07/17

Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled for VSG on 9/7/17. I was so excited to get this done and have gone through so much to get the paperwork and tests in order that now that I have a date set, I am very scared! I just wondered if this is all part of the process for those of you who have been through it. I'm not so much frightened of the procedure, but rather the uncertainty of how my life will be and the recovery process. My life has revolved around going out to lunches and dinners with my friends and family that it's almost as though a part of my life is dying on 9/7/17 (in a good way, of course).

For a long time I was going to the gym and running and the weight just kept creeping up. I had no idea that I had hypothyroidism that was left untreated. Anyway, I know this procedure is for the best and that I want to live a long and healthy life, but I'm still so awfully nervous.

Any words of support appreciated for this newbie.

Thank you

Gwen M.
on 8/7/17 7:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome :)

While not all of us experience this, it is a very common thing to experience! It's a big life change and it will take a lot of adaptation for you, and for the people in your life most likely too.

For me, the things that helped were keeping super busy pre-op, focusing on my intended outcome, and therapy.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Knitter215
on 8/7/17 7:32 am
VSG on 08/23/16

About two weeks before surgery, I started to wonder - do I really need to do this? I've lost x pounds. I can keep this up. I can keep the weight off. I was scared about the life changes as well. However, I can tell you that when I got my head in the game, I am really glad that I did it.

I am almost 100 pounds down since my high weight in April 2016. My surgery was August 23, 2016. How has my life changed? In ways I can't count.

I fence 5 hours a week. I do TRX 1 hour a week. I spend more time in the gym. I can hike, horseback ride, tube and zip line. I can walk college campuses with my teen daughters. My knees don't hurt like they used to and I don't have to take Vicodin for the arthritis pain. My asthma as gotten better. I look good. I feel good. I have more energy. I can still go to lunch and dinner with friends and family. I just get a to-go box for what I don't eat or I order an appetizer as my meal.

On the hypothyroidism - hang in there. It can take a few months to get your medication set properly. (I dealt with that for years - once you have the right dose, it makes all the difference.)

It's ok to be scared. But really, you are going to love the new you. You've got this. We've got your back.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

kim79
on 9/6/17 4:15 pm

I am one week post op and needed to read this! Thank you for posting!

dh101
on 8/7/17 8:29 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I was excited and concerned before surgery. I had a few days post Surgery asking myself "what did you do?" Now a month and a half out and starting to eat real proteins again, I am glad I had the VSG.

Since I made the decision to go down this path I have lost almost 60 pounds and it shows. I have more energy.

The first month after surgery is hard, but it passes quickly. After that you will start having fun learning how much and what you can eat. To-go boxes will be normal as will making a meal out of an appetizer. But you can go out with your friends and family. When dining at someone's home a small plate of food will be more than enough.

Before you know it, you and your circle will be used to the new way you eat.

Best of luck!

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

diane S.
on 8/7/17 11:18 am

Its pretty normal to have some fears before any surgery. Keep active - exercise is a stress reducer and try to make it fun like walking in a beautiful location.

As for lunches and dinners with family and friends, you will be able to do that. Just order soup or cottage cheese when you are at the phase you can do so. Even a glass of skim milk is fine early on. Just make sure these people are not sabotages or food pushers and that they accept what you have done. Go to concerts and plays and movies with them instead. And go window shopping for cool clothes that you will eventually be able to get. GL I have never regretted my vsg. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Phoenix17
on 8/7/17 1:18 pm
VSG on 09/07/17
On August 7, 2017 at 6:18 PM Pacific Time, diane S. wrote:

Its pretty normal to have some fears before any surgery. Keep active - exercise is a stress reducer and try to make it fun like walking in a beautiful location.

As for lunches and dinners with family and friends, you will be able to do that. Just order soup or cottage cheese when you are at the phase you can do so. Even a glass of skim milk is fine early on. Just make sure these people are not sabotages or food pushers and that they accept what you have done. Go to concerts and plays and movies with them instead. And go window shopping for cool clothes that you will eventually be able to get. GL I have never regretted my vsg. Diane S

Thank you for this. The only people that know that I'm doing the surgery are my parents and the surgery team. I don't want to tell anyone else because I don't want criticisms, gossip or anything like that to deal with as I recover. I haven't decided if I will tell others about my VSG down the line, but concerts/plays/movies is a great way of continuing to socialize with others without having to eat. Thank you.

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/17 11:51 am
VSG on 12/28/16

You sound 100% like I did. I questioned right up to two weeks prior. Then I developed the mindset that I was going to be in charge of my health and do it no matter what. You will still get to do those lunches and dinners. I'm single so that's a big part of my life too. The first few weeks you will follow a strict plan but once you're a few months post op it will feel normal. Now I order a protein type appetizer and nobody thinks twice about it. When you start losing it will all seem so worth it. I have spent thousands of dollars on programs, gyms and trainers the last few years. I wish I had done this sooner and saved myself years of frustration. It's not easy. As everyone will say, it's a tool. But it's the best tool I've had - and Ive tried them all. Good luck with your progress.

Phoenix17
on 8/7/17 1:20 pm
VSG on 09/07/17
On August 7, 2017 at 6:51 PM Pacific Time, AZLoser wrote:

You sound 100% like I did. I questioned right up to two weeks prior. Then I developed the mindset that I was going to be in charge of my health and do it no matter what. You will still get to do those lunches and dinners. I'm single so that's a big part of my life too. The first few weeks you will follow a strict plan but once you're a few months post op it will feel normal. Now I order a protein type appetizer and nobody thinks twice about it. When you start losing it will all seem so worth it. I have spent thousands of dollars on programs, gyms and trainers the last few years. I wish I had done this sooner and saved myself years of frustration. It's not easy. As everyone will say, it's a tool. But it's the best tool I've had - and Ive tried them all. Good luck with your progress.

I am single, too, and young so a lot revolves around meals and going out for me. Thank you for the protein appetizer suggestion. I'll be seeing a nutritionist pretty regularly so I know it will all work out. Thank you!

Jamie R.
on 8/7/17 9:16 pm
VSG on 09/21/17
Hi Phoenix17! I feel the exact same way as you. I'm very nervous. My surgery is scheduled for 09/21/17. I just told my immediate family about my upcoming surgery. I'm not telling anyone else. This is an exciting, yet, anxious time!
Most Active
Recent Topics