GAINED 3 LBS !!!!! Also does sleeve cause hormone issues?

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/17 4:59 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

Weight gain is a known side effect of depo...

redhead65
on 8/3/17 6:58 am
VSG on 05/19/17

This is almost certainly water gain, and not fat. People fluctuate the amount of water they retain based on many things, some of which are not entirely within our control. Keep doing what you are doing. Your body will adjust and the excess water will go away.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/3/17 8:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yes, the sleeve does cause hormone issues, albeit indirectly. Early on, most folks experience what's called the "hormone dump." Estrogen is stored in fat cells, and when you lose weight quickly all of those hormones go flooding out into your body.

Your weight will fluctuate a LOT during the first few weeks and months as your body adjusts to everything you've been through. Healing is hard work, and it can cause your body to hang onto water, which can make the numbers on the scale jump around. I'd suggest logging every day and looking at the "big picture" trend over time, rather than the day-to-day change.

You are down 20lb since pre-op. That is NOT a disappointment.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/17 9:59 am

thank you so much great help, your rght will look at the whole picture!

mmsmom
on 8/3/17 9:12 am - Woburn, MA

I know alot of people are not concerned with fat, but if I were gaining, I'd cut out the mayo first of all. Lean protein and lots of fluid. Siggi's is a really low sugar, high protein yogurt and very good. Also only weigh yourself once at week at the same time and write it down in a notebook.

VSG on 04/28/2014

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/17 9:59 am

i cant just eat dry tuna i wont b able to swollow, im still on puree stage. , and when im only eating 200cals a day im okay with some light mayo, thats like 100cals for the serving i add to a whole can of tuna that i eat over a few days :) will see if i can get the yogurt in uk

Mirandia
on 8/3/17 10:27 am
VSG on 03/14/17

I ALWAYS gain a few pounds around my period. Its all water weight and it drops off a week later. The fat is still burning off though.

Yes, weight loss messes with your hormones because some hormones are stored in the fat ... when it is burned those hormones are dumped right back into your blood stream.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

diane S.
on 8/3/17 10:35 am

For many of us weight loss is not a straight decline but a downward trend with blips of upwards from time to time. There may be some hormonal things going on but I am not a doctor. Just stick to program, get your fluids and you will lose weight. Its easy to wig out about a couple of upward pounds but try to stay focused. Good luck. I was a slow loser but got to goal and then some. It will happen. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Bufflehead
on 8/4/17 5:45 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Yes, water weight especially around your period can mess with the scales. Another thing, and sorry to be gross, but if you are constipated (many people are in the first few months after surgery) what you are retaining in your intestines/colon will show up as weight gain on the scale. It can be several pounds. So if that is an issue you may want to consider Miralax or Milk of Magnesia. Constipation will only be made worse by not getting enough liquids so if you are constipated that may be an extra motivator to work harder on getting those fluids in. Good luck!

AggieMae
on 8/6/17 6:36 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

If you are inactive and in pain you could be constipated or retaining water.

No, the sleeve doesn't cause "hormone fluctuations" and in any case changes in hormone less led don't significantly effect weight.

Most Active
Recent Topics