Nausea

Valerie G.
on 7/3/17 12:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

How much are you drinking? Your body needs 64oz per day at minimum (not something you work up to, btw). You are probably dehydrating overnight, which causes nausea and fatigue. Many will keep a bottle of water on their nightstand to take a couple of swigs in the night to prevent this feeling.

It's a drag, and it downright sucks, but whether you feel like it or not, be constantly sipping on something at every waking hour, because getting 64oz is a full time job for several months. Today, I get that down before lunchtime and start my next jug.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amalilly
on 7/3/17 1:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 05/23/17

Hey, sorry you've been getting message after message about your water / fluid consumption. You're doing amazing given how recent your surgery was.

My nausea stared a bit later than yours and I found taking a gravol (Dimenhydrinate) really helps especially when I was able to get ahead of the nausea. Nothing changed the first thing in the morning but the short wait for it to kick in was okay.

When I was still feeling nausea three weeks later my nurse practitioner said it was likely being caused by the metformin I was taking (which she cut my dose in half - not medical advice just telling you what was done for me).

Truly the first month is a unique journey for each of us. There may be no other cause for it beyond the fact your body is adjusting to the major surgical changes. I promise it gets better.

HOWEVER if the nausea does prevent you from getting your water or protein then it becomes a medical issue requiring your nurse/doctor's attention. (I waited a week to see if it would resolve itself because I was still managing to get the essentials in).

Weights: HW 370, SW 336, GW 180 (fantasy 145), CW 268.1 (pre surgery -34, M1- 26, M2- 16)
Dates: Referral - Aug 26, 2015, Info Class - Dec 4, Optifast - May 2nd, 2017, Surgery - May 23rd

Surgeon: Dr. J.D. Yelle, Ottawa, ON

dh101
on 7/4/17 9:10 am
VSG on 06/29/17

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sunday, I was only able to get in 54 oz water + 4 oz jello due to the nausea.

Yesterday was better. I totaled out at 68 oz water plus what ever counts out of the liquid foods I ate. I managed to get 40 g of protein in! The Zofran did its job and kept the nausea held at bay.

Last night I had 4 oz of water each time I went to the bathroom. That may have helped with the morning nausea.

So thanks for the thoughts. I'll work on more water today. I can handle a max of 4 oz at over 30 minutes. It's been a challenge, but one sip, one step, one day at a time.

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Gwen M.
on 7/4/17 9:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You got this!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dh101
on 7/6/17 9:23 am
VSG on 06/29/17

Nausea is down and controlled by the Zofran. 64 oz of water in addition to the liquids is helping as is having water over night.

Thanks all for your positive thoughts.

Valerie G.
on 7/7/17 7:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

While in the hospital, they had you on an IV with a constant source of hydration. Now you're left on your own, and you will have peaks and spikes of hydration, so you have to be drinking constantly to keep your body at an even keel. Remember that you need 64oz daily as a minimum. This is not something to work up to, and if you're not getting anywhere close, that's probably the cause of your nausesa and even more fatigue than you would have otherwise. You're not going to want to drink or may not like what your choices are, but try different flavors and temperatures until you find something that doesn't suck if you cannot find something pleasurable. It's a full-time job, but a necessary one. Some people even keep a beverage on their night stand, making a point to wake up in the night and drink it down to avoid the morning nausea.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

dh101
on 7/7/17 3:31 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

Nausea was a 2 when I woke. Took the Zofran mostly as a CYA.

Tried my pre surgery hot cocoa protein drink, got 1/2 down before the system went haywire. Not nausea per say, rapid heart beat, flushing, unwell feeling. Luckily it passed quickly. I shan't be trying that protein shake again!

I have been getting 60 oz of water in, plus lots of other liquids.

Feeling good (except for the breakfast related icky).

Saw my doc today. She thinks I'm doing great. She wants to hold off on more Zofran to see how my body is doing. I agree, yesterday I only needed one.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Gwen M.
on 7/7/17 3:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Great news! Thanks for the update.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dh101
on 7/19/17 1:54 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

The nausea broke for for good on day 8. I haven't needed the Zofran since!

I have been sipping my liquids and getting my full liquids in. My system for previous 2 weeks could not stand anything sweet what so ever. I have over the last 2 days I have been able to tolerate 4 oz of sugar free jello, or 4 oz of Mango/Peach V8. But only one in 24 hours.

I had the Mango/Peach V8 for breakfast. When I thought about anything else vaguely sweet for the rest of the day my entire psyche revolted. In the case of the jello, the next night I really wanted a dessert after dinner (cream of chicken soup) had settled. So I had the 4 oz of jello. The next morning the thought of the V8 was out of the question.

As a result I am a little low on my protein levels, but this is only week 3. This will change. Also so far I have felt good and had energy. So having my total calories low isn't a bad thing yet. And I know that I should be getting more protein in. I have one more week of this full liquid phase before I start on soft foods. I'll see what happens when I get into that phase. I am so looking forward to chicken stew, steamed fish, scollops, baked ricotta, and eggs! Yum! (I am tired of the creamed soups!!!!)

Thanks all for the support.

Most Active
Recent Topics