Tell me about your experience coming off PPIs

yvonnef1964
on 6/11/17 7:06 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I was on prescription ppi, at 18 months my dr took me off it. I have acid once in awhile but tums take care it

AD_Jordan
on 6/11/17 10:31 pm

I'm at 7 months. I started with omeprazole, which didn't seem to help. Acid was especially bad when lying down/trying to sleep. Kept waking up in the night belching, even when sleeping in the recliner, or propped up.

Now I take Protonix twice a day, and a big Zantac (all Rx strength) at bedtime. The surgeon writes for it, and the GI approves. If it doesn't settle down soon, they'll want an endoscopy to have a peek.

The pulmonologist also reduced the settings on my CPAP because I'm having less incidents per hour. He said that a higher setting than needed can cause some of the burping/belching (but NOT the acid).

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

stacyrg
on 6/12/17 1:39 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I was on a PPI for 1 month post VSG. I had never had GERD or Reflux prior to being sleeved. My acid increased steadily and at 8 months post op, we began seriously discussing conversion to RNY. Coming off of PPIs will definitely contribute to rebound acid. I don't want to play doctor and I would definitely clear this with your surgeon or PCP, but try switching to 300mg/day of Zantac. Zantac is a H2 antagonist, not a PPI so if you're concerned about PPI use, it may sufficiently control your acid. Now, even after my conversion, I take Zantac when I'm feeling acidy and it helps.

CC C.
on 6/12/17 1:46 pm

Thanks! I saw the Zantac recommendation in the doctor's article I mentioned too. I will definitely try that! I decided to try the Prevacid every other day for several weeks, then I think I'll switch to Zantac and then try to get away from all of it if I can.

Did you end up converting to the RNY?

stacyrg
on 6/12/17 1:56 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Yes. My VSG was 5/12/14 and my conversion to RNY was 7/1/16

Most Active
Recent Topics