Tell me about your experience coming off PPIs

CC C.
on 6/10/17 2:09 pm, edited 6/10/17 2:15 pm

My surgeon had me on 30mg of Lansoprazole for 3 months post surgery. I had read that going off it cold turkey can cause rebound acid issues so the doctor writing the article suggested tapering off. So after I finished my prescription I took over the counter 15mg Prevacid for 14 days. I stopped that a few days ago. The first day I was fine, the second day, I felt a little acid after dinner, and today I've had a lot of uncomfortable heartburn.

I'm interested in hearing about your experience going off post-surgery PPIs. How long were you on them? Did you experience rebound heartburn after stopping? Did it lessen over time? Did you go back on PPIs?

I am really hoping this is temporary and not a sign of things to come!

p.s. - I plan to talk to my surgeon next week, just trying to get a sense of what other's have experienced!

Rachel B.
on 6/10/17 2:39 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Personally, I have never gone off of them. I have a touch of Barrett's Esophagitis, and a good gastrologist. I have been on PPI's mostly since the end of surg. HOWEVER, I also have a history of alcoholism. Major league contributor, as alcohol relaxes the esophageal sphincter and allows reflux of acid into the esophagus. I have no issue with long term use of PPI's personally.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/10/17 2:46 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had a very mild case of gerd b4 surgery & was likely caused by the hiatal hernia that was repaired at surgery. I was on a ppi for a couple of months, & was off of them completely when I ran out. I haven't had a problem since, but again my gerd was very, very mild to begin with.

Maybe you need a different ppi? That might help.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

CC C.
on 6/10/17 3:06 pm

Me too! I had a hiatal hernia repaired too and very rare mild GERD (like 1-2 days a month at most, antacid took care of it so this was my first PPI experience).

The lower dose Prevacid worked great, but I thought being on a PPI long term was to be avoided if you could? I'm willing to tough this out for a little while if there's a chance it'll improve and I can avoid being on PPIs indefinitely.

Nura777
on 6/10/17 2:53 pm

I am doing the same thing! Second day on 300mg zantac and will stay on it until I can be completely off. GL

Erin T.
on 6/10/17 3:32 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

No GERD issues prior to surgery for me and my surgeon did not even prescribe PPI's. I didn't know that was odd until I came here and really started reading. I've had no issues so far, I hope it stays that way.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/17 5:16 pm

Prior to surgery I had some acid reflux. After my surgery the surgeon prescribed omepreazole 20 mg and took every day for a couple of weeks and then tapered to every other day for 2 weeks. I was told to go off. Since then I have experienced some acid here and there, especially after drinking strong unsweetened tea and coffee. I started back on the oreprazole every day for 2 weeks and now tapering to every other day again. I too hope that this isn't going to be an ongoing issue.

Cathy H.
on 6/10/17 6:19 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I was told to take Prilosec OTC daily for the first 6 months after surgery. At my 6-month check up, they said to cut it down and then wean off of it over the next couple of weeks, and if I had future problems to start a regimen again.

I was off for about 4 weeks, and found I did have some heartburn issues, so have been back on it since. I may try weaning off again in a little while. We'll see...

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/17 8:03 am, edited 6/11/17 1:04 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I am 2.5 months out from surgery and still taking a PPI. My surgeon prescribed 2 weeks of omeprazole after surgery and then said to follow up with PCP if I had acid issues. I haven't followed up with anyone (I have terrible health insurance), but when I don't take a PPI, I notice bubbling and mild burning in my esophagus in the early morning and sometimes late at night. Even though the heartburn is not really uncomfortable, I'm planning on continuing the PPI until at least the 3 month mark because I'm worried about gastric ulcers and esophageal damage. I don't know how much heartburn, if any, is safe. I'll plan to start taking the PPI every other and then every third day for two weeks as a taper. I never had acid issues before surgery and am really hoping that this gets resolved.

OutsideMatchInside
on 6/11/17 11:54 am
VSG on 07/15/15

I didn't take them at all the first 3 months. Never had GERD issues prior to surgery. When I started varying my diet I had some GERD issues rarely, mostly due t over eating by accident when eating out. I took them off and on from months 4 to 9. Then stopped.

I feel like for me it was more of a learning curve getting use to my sleeve than actual acid issues.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Most Active
Recent Topics