gas

axboliv
on 6/7/17 1:37 pm
VSG on 06/01/17

Hello all, newbie here, had surgery last week. Still can't tell the difference if I am full or if the pain i am feeling is gas pain, any suggestions. I reach my liquid quota slowly but surely each day. other than that gas pain i feel great.

adistacke
on 6/7/17 2:34 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

Congrats on your surgery! I'm beginning my fourth week post op. I didn't feel full drinking a protein drink...usually took me 30 minutes to get one down but could drink 6 ounces of water fairly quickly. I would guess it is probably gas pain unless you are drinking quickly.

axboliv
on 6/7/17 2:50 pm
VSG on 06/01/17

I only take small sips at a time, maybe some gas. I've been using gas x as well. But doesn't do too much. i guess my dilemna is knowing the difference between this gas pain or actually being full.

Cathy H.
on 6/7/17 6:26 pm, edited 6/7/17 11:46 am
VSG on 10/31/16

What you're feeling is gas. You're taking GasX, but are you on a PPI, like Prilosec OTC once a day? GasX alone may not be enough (it wasn't for me). I still take Prilosec once a day at 7+ months out or I get terrible gas.

You just had all the nerves in your stomach cut, and you won't be feeling any actual fullness from food until you start eating solid proteins. Some people take months longer than that to feel actual fullness. This is why weighing and measuring your food is so terribly important. While in healing phase, and since you can't feel anything, many are tempted to eat more than they are told to, and risk doing serious damage to their new tummies.

While you are on liquids, purees, and soft foods, they slide right through your stomach. This gives your staple line a chance to heal without any pressure on it. When you do start eating solid proteins, be strict about how much you consume. NEVER guess, always measure during soft and for liquids, then weigh solids, and track every morsel.

Believe me, it's worth the trouble! Congrats on making it to the Loser's Bench!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

axboliv
on 6/8/17 5:07 am
VSG on 06/01/17

thank you so much, this was very helpful, I think the Prilosec would def help, didn't even think about using that.

Mary S.
on 6/8/17 5:30 am - Eden Prairie , MN
VSG on 05/15/17
Hi Cathy, thank you for your post. It is really good advice. I start solid food next week, soft stage, and I bought a scale and NOW ... I intend to use it. Even with the purees I am never sure because I can only eat about 3 tablespoons and I am full. This is all so new and exciting, but I can see that there is a process to follow to be successful. Again, thanks for the reminders! Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics