4 weeks and violently vomiting for the first time

adistacke
on 5/31/17 6:37 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

Just has my 2 week post op and met with the dietitian who said to follow a pregnancy diet...now raw fish or deli meat from questionable places. Maybe try it again when you are eating a regular diet...I love sushi but assumed I might have to give it up. Hope you're feeling better!

Mirandia
on 5/31/17 9:49 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

maybe some bacteria was on the fish ... something that an intact stomach and all its acid could deal with ...but not something your tummy could ... so the tummy did the only thing it could to defend you ... expel the offending items (and everything else to boot)

Doyenne
on 6/1/17 1:27 am

I got it from the best place in my city and we get their squash and sashimi often. Nobody else was bothered. But I won't be trying sashimi for a long time again. Maybe a sleeved stomach needs to work up to that. It was awful.

Surgery date May 4, 2017

HW 290. Start weight 229. Day of Surgery 209. Month 2: 190. Month 3: 182. Month 4: 174. Month 5: 164. Month 6: 159. Month 7: 153. Month 8: 147. Month 9: 145. Month 10: 142. Month 11: 138 Month 12: 137. Month 13: 139 Month 14: 131. Month 15: 130. Month 16: 131. Month 17: 128. 162 pounds lost!!

Two year anniversary upon me in 3 days: 136. Need to lose a few pounds..

AggieMae
on 6/1/17 9:49 am
VSG on 10/25/16

Getting spoilt fish in a restaurant is highly unlikely.

Raw salmon is quite dense but you had maybe 2oz...but Miso is very high is sodium so it pulls fluid into your digestive system. Maybe that was the problem?

I vomit every now and then, it's always at dinner time and usually what I eat has nothing to do with it. my stomach can hold 4oz so I weigh my food and have 3-3.5 oz.

I started to take an RX antacid half an hour before we eat dinner. It usually works.

Don't stress to much about one episode. If you vomit regularly you should see your surgeon to r/o problematic causes.

Donna L.
on 6/1/17 10:28 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Raw food is infinitely harder to digest than cooked food. Cooking actually spurred a huge boost for human evolution, because it meant our ancestors could consume far more nutrition and energy. Cooking is thought to actually have accounted for the rapid evolution of our brains somewhat, as our brains are the largest energy sinks of our body.

It may not be the amount at all. I didn't have raw food until a year out. Sashimi also, sadly, is more likely to have pathogens since it is raw. It may have been a combination of things.

You will also have no way of knowing by feel for some time what is enough. I did not have restriction at all for over a year. You must diligently measure amounts, because the nerves in your stomach are not yet healed, it sounds like.

Miso soup will not take much space, because liquids tend to move through the pylorus quickly. Most likely you just aren't able to eat raw fish for some time. Also, liquids plus solids together might not be the best combination.

Introduce foods once at a time, too, to understand what the tolerance issue might be. That's how I found out dairy was causing my acid reflux.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 6/2/17 9:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sashimi may have been a little too ambitious at only a month post-op. Try something soft and mushy, like roasted chicken or pot roast. That was my speed starting on meats. Chicken salad with lots of mayo was easy to eat. Many do well with shrimp early out, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

purduebaby12
on 6/6/17 11:37 am

I think it was the liquid mixed with the solid combo!!! I had sashimi at 5 weeks and it was good! I didn't do the miso for this reason...I feel the same way about cereal...lol I am soooooo scared to eat and drink I did it one time it was maybe 2 sips of liquid and I was violently vomiting to the point I thought I was gonna drown!!!! I set a timer now or ask what time is it...as soon as I'm done with my last swallow, but there are times I can still fill the food and I just wait a little longer I never want to feel like that again. Feel better!!

Doyenne
on 6/6/17 2:47 pm

How much sashimi did you have, and what type? I didn't have a scale, so not sure but I had maybe 1 to 2 ounces. But the soup may have been the culprit.... I love sashimi.

Surgery date May 4, 2017

HW 290. Start weight 229. Day of Surgery 209. Month 2: 190. Month 3: 182. Month 4: 174. Month 5: 164. Month 6: 159. Month 7: 153. Month 8: 147. Month 9: 145. Month 10: 142. Month 11: 138 Month 12: 137. Month 13: 139 Month 14: 131. Month 15: 130. Month 16: 131. Month 17: 128. 162 pounds lost!!

Two year anniversary upon me in 3 days: 136. Need to lose a few pounds..

purduebaby12
on 6/13/17 9:37 am

I love it too! I had salmon...I have never weighed it but I was told it's about 2.5 to 3 oz which I believe as I typically have one piece I can't get down (my sleeve is full at 3 oz)..I had some the other day post work out and it was delish as usual!! I really hope that was a one time thing for you and you'll get to enjoy the yummy fishy goodness again...!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics