VSG for Over 50 Patient with Bad Back

Knitter215
on 5/26/17 4:59 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Had VSG 8/23/2016. While my back is OK, I'm bone on bone in both knees and 55. I had the surgery to get enough weight off to have my knees replaced. I'm down 93 pounds, about 30 from my goal and have found out I can put off my knee replacements for quite a while longer.

Pre-surgery, any land exercise resulted in me taking Vicodin immediately after for pain control. Walking an amusement park for the day with my kids would be a 2 Vicodin day.

Now, I foil fence (as in en garde) for 4-5 hours a week, spending most of that time in a partially squatted position. And guess what, I only need to ice my knees when I'm done.

For me, as the weight started coming off exercising became so much easier. I did work with both a physical therapist and personal trainer to develop a plan that was safe for my orthopedic issues pre-surgery and I check in with both of them periodically.

There are plenty of us "older" folks here. Again, for me, this was the best health decision I have ever made.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

TexLex100
on 5/26/17 2:16 pm

Impressive! My two daughters played fencing for a few years and this is a very hard sport on the knees!

Knitter215
on 5/26/17 2:23 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Thanks. Oh, and I made sure my orthopedic surgeon was on board with everything and he helped me plan as well. Best of luck to you.

That being said, would an aquatic workout - swimming or water walking, be better for your back?

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

TexLex100
on 5/26/17 2:31 pm

Yes, I think swimming would be great, except that it is more logistically difficult, but I will HAVE to find the time and the place to do it more frequently. Cheers.

diane S.
on 5/27/17 12:09 pm

Hi, I had surgery at age 58 and am now 65. A total success. I didn't do much exercise while losing. But it sure helped my back pain to lose 100+ pounds. I never had the surgeries or issues you have but getting weight off will surely help.

You do need to move around some after surgery so you don't get lung problems. But it doesn't have to be much. Eventually maybe you could exercise in a swimming pool to eliminate back strain. Gl. Hope you get there. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

TexLex100
on 5/27/17 1:32 pm

Thanks Diane! This is encouraging. I will keep you folks posted. Cheers.

ssflbelle
on 5/28/17 11:31 am - West Palm Beach, FL

You been been through so many surgeries all ready that I hope and pray your weight loss will help your back and you will not need additional surgeries.

I was truly hoping and praying that my weight loss of 280 pounds thus far was going to allow me to walk again without pain or aids. However so far this hasn't happened.

Unfortunately, I must still use an electric mobility device to shop. However I am able to use a walker now for maybe 10 minutes of walking. I still can't do any of the things I did before 1994 whi*****luded, dancing, bowling, billiards, miniature golf, volleyball. My back Doctor told me I had to get to goal (180) and have all the excess skin removed before he would do back surgery which would consist of nuts,bolts and screws.

I have been unable to stand or walk for more than 5 minutes since 1994, when I was injured resulting in 4 herniated discs, spinal stenosis and as time went on osteoarthritis. I have had to use an electric mobility device since that time. I was so bad I couldn't even get out of bed without a ski rope attached to my window sill to help pull me up. My highest weight was 497. About 150 of that happened after I was injured due to all the meds and lack of the ability to move. I tried every diet you can think of and eventually with WW and NS and high protein low carb I was able to get down to 315 pounds. Finally in Jan of 2016 (at the age of 61) my insurance paid for the sleeve surgery as well as a hernia repair and gall bladder removal. I have lost almost an additional 100 pounds.

I still have about 38 pounds to get to my goal. I am hoping and praying that when I do I will not need the back surgery. I don't need to tell you to live a life without pain and the ability to walk would be a dream come true. I wish you the very best and hope your dream comes true with the weight loss.

Amanda    Surgery was 1/26/2016 Surgery Weight  314   Highest Weight 497

lost  183 pounds before surgery

TexLex100
on 5/28/17 12:30 pm

Hi Amanda.. Sorry to hear of your prolonged struggle. It sounds a lot like my own history. Since I had my first surgery back in 1989 I am unable to stand for more than a few minutes without extreme pain in the lower back. My only doubt is that while I have been overweight for sometime, I wasn't extremely heavy. I think my highest BMI was 35.5 so I am wondering whether brining in my weight from 233 lb to say 170 or 180 would be enough to avoid the screws and rods surgery.

My prayers go to you that your pains would subside with time. Please keep us posted, and I will do the same. Cheers.

Most Active
Recent Topics