Suggestions on what to do

ItsTimeNow99
on 5/15/17 2:19 am

I couldn't agree more with all the suggestions. Getting used to eating slowly, not drinking with meals, focusing on getting 50-70 grams of protein a day, logging your meals, drinking at least 64 oz of water a day, starting supplements (B-12, calcium with D3, iron and a multi-vitamin), and walking really helped in my preparation for after surgery. Everything was just part of my daily routine by then, so there was minimal adjustment after moving to my Stage 4. If your program doesn't have you seen a behaviorist, you may want to look into seeing one on your own. They are a tremendous help if you have struggled with anything in the past.

Keep positive thoughts and before you know it your journey will be taking you to a healthier, happier you.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Pat

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

LMTSC
on 5/15/17 4:09 am
VSG on 06/29/17

Thanks for the info. I have started back with a therapist I've seen in the past and lucky me he's worked with eating disorders. He's having me log all my food and where, when and how I feel at the time. I do his log and my fitness pal at the same time.

I'm gonna now look into the vitamins. I already take D3 but need to look into multis. Any suggestions?

sampeck
on 5/17/17 10:56 am
VSG on 05/22/17

I tried some samples from my nutrition team - I liked and ordered Celebrate Multi-Complete chewable with iron in watermelon and Bariatric Advantage 500mg Calcium Citrate Chewy Bite in caramel.

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/15/17 7:31 am
VSG on 07/15/15

Get a food scale and start weighing all your food.

Get a body scale and start weighing yourself everyday so you can learn how your body fluctuates

Get an app to track all of your food.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Renren
on 5/15/17 9:23 am
VSG on 12/02/15

If you still eat sweets and high carb foods, It's a good time to stop

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Knitter215
on 5/15/17 9:39 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Start testing brands of protein drinks - powder, pre-mixed, clear, etc. While your taste buds may change after surgery, now is a good time to start seeing which protein brands/types you like. Personally, I'm a big fan of Premier pre-mixed (especially caramel) for when I'm on the go and the Optimum Gold Standard (sold at Costco) for a vanilla flavored powder.

When I was pre-op, I started doing protein shakes every morning and used that time to experiment with flavors, textures, water vs. Fair Life skim milk v. coconut milk. (I'm not an almond milk fan, but to each his/her own.) I discovered I don't like strawberries in my smoothies/shakes due to the little seeds. I love strawberries otherwise, but this became a hurdle for me that I was glad I realized before I was post-op.

Best of luck!

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

yvranx42
on 5/15/17 10:49 am
VSG on 02/01/17

Start tracking your food and water intake using a tool like MyFitnessPal. Develop the habit of logging everything, and make sure you're getting enough fluids in. Great time to start working on developing those good habits.

Jen R.
on 5/15/17 1:45 pm - VA

Change your behaviors now! While you might not do these specific things personally, they are examples of change.

STOP

Do you drink soda? Empty calories or artificial sweetener, carbonation causes gas and pain

Use a straw when you drink? You are putting air in your stomach

Watch TV while you eat? Mindless eating means more you consume more food without enjoying the flavors.

Alcohol? Sweets? Cut back

START

Look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself something positive.

Reading labels on food and drinks

Get a few more steps in every day. Can't walk? Try stretching and practice relaxation techniques.

Drink more water

Take a multivitimin

REMEMBER

You didn't gain weight suddenly. Days turned into weeks, months etc. It won't disappear overnight.

Weight loss surgery is a tool. You need to work with the tool in accordance to your medical team's instructions.

There are other folks who have been where you are. Get support here and other online groups if you cannot make it to meetings.

Wishing you all the best on your upcoming surgery!

Jen      

diane S.
on 5/16/17 12:08 pm

You can start changing habits. Pass on the seconds and sweets. Start a little exercise. Get your mind in the frame of not relying on food so much for emotional purposes. Think about changing your relationship with food and get in the mind set that there is so much more in the world besides food. gl Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

LMTSC
on 5/16/17 12:21 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

Thank you

Most Active
Recent Topics