Is it possible at 3.5 months

Missy-37
on 5/6/17 6:53 am, edited 5/5/17 11:54 pm
VSG on 01/06/17 with

Yes on my last visit in march she told me to Keep it at 900. She told me not to focuse too much on calories but more so on protein and fluids

Gwen M.
on 5/6/17 7:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The advice not to focus too much on calories and to focus on proteins and fluids is good advice IF AND ONLY IF it comes along with the advice to limit your meals and meal size (and mostly skip the carbs, especially the refined and processed ones).

For example, a person could "not focus too much on calories and focus on proteins" but still eat entirely too many carbs with mindless snacking throughout the day or creeping meal size. I could easily fool myself into thinking I was eating correct this way, as I'm sure many of us could.

If all you're eating is 4 ounces of protein, 3 times a day, combined with drinking lots of no-calorie liquids - great! You don't really need to worry about calories. But once you add in non-protein foods, tracking calories is important.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 5/6/17 8:20 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 6, 2017 at 7:58 AM Pacific Time, Missy-37 wrote:

Well you see this is a good statement. In my mind I feel as though eating 800-900 calories a day over a long period of time will donme more damage. I think about starvation mode and how if it exists and I think that I up my calories daily then I'm helping myself. I think actually I may be hurting myself more young calories.

as long as you have fat to burn, you are not going to starve. Fat is stored in the body to be available when food is low or calories low.

Burning stored fat causes weight loss. Eating more calories will stop weight loss cause there are enough calories available to use without burning stored fat.

Donna L.
on 5/7/17 6:02 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have spent years trying to find the science behind starvation mode for years and I have been unable to find any. I've written PhDs in biochemistry from my old undergrad program before I switched to psych and we've discussed it at length. There's really nothing to back it up that is concrete and definitive. Our bodies evolved in times of feast or famine, so they are accustomed to periods of caloric restriction. We also eat more than we ever had previously in human history. Most anthropologists also agree that we evolved eating far less than we do.

The best way to damage your metabolism is actually to go between high and low carb diets. Eating a lot of carbohydrate and then restricting it causes insulin to spike which causes inflammation and damage.

The only way you would maybe damage your metabolism is if you, as a woman, were at 15% bodyfat or less, and eating a low protein diet. Your body would begin catabolizing (breaking down) protein to fuel the brain. Almost no WLS patients ever get to that point when we follow our protocols. Even DS patients with the malabsorption never get there if they meet their fat and protein requirements, and they typically have the best long-term surgical results.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

NotOldMomma
on 5/7/17 11:53 am

I used to think like that too, I was scheduled for the surgery twice and both times cancelled, thinking the same way you are. Then in November I had a mini-stroke and thought I was going to die. I realized than that the previous attempts were me not just ready to do it yet. Maybe you need to experience something scarier than a potential maybe non-existent zombie apocalypse, I mean starvation mode, but pretty much as possible as the other right? lol do you see what I mean? I'm scared to death to have this surgery but I'm pushing myself because I know if I'm going to die than I want to die fighting not over-eating. And if I fight, I got a chance, if I'm scared of that zombie apocalypse, I'm already dead, maybe not today but alot sooner. Sometimes I used to get so depressed I wanted to die but then after I really almost did I said hell no, I want to live! Good luck! You Can Do IT!

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/6/17 6:23 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

At 3.5 months I was averaging about 600 calories a day. I didn't get up to 900-1000 calories until I was ready to maintain (I increased calories slowly to figure out what seemed right which at my weight is about 1200-1300). I also lost in a stair step fashion.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Gwen M.
on 5/6/17 6:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Heya. You've been asked a few times to share what you're eating each day, and you haven't yet. This normally tends to be a red flag and indicate that a person knows they're eating poorly and doesn't want to admit to what they're doing.

You might be an exception to this, but that's been my experience.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics