How to manage pre surgery anxiety

LMTSC
on 5/7/17 5:15 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

Found out that my therapist used to work with eating disorders and a weightloss clinic. How lucky am I? He helped me yrs ago with some issues and anxiety and also has experience with my current needs......... It was meant to be!

adistacke
on 5/4/17 8:31 am
VSG on 05/16/17

I can relate to the anxiety. I've had surgery scheduled for May 19th since back in January. Since scheduling, the surgeon's office called to tell me i wasn't approved and needed to see therapist/dietitian. Thankfully i had my letter from the insurance comp where they approved both lap band removal and the sleeve at the same time...not common and may have been a mistake but they re-approved. I had my preop visit with the surgeon last week and found out he will be oot the day after my surgery...so i moved it up 3 days. These things aren't major when you really think about it but they add to your stress and doubts. I had an upper GI and had to get clearance from my ENT cause i have a deviated septum with chronic sinusitis...just finished all of that today.

My advice is take it one day at a time and keep the goal in mind. Also a therapist and ativan never hurt anyone! Just reading other posts on this site helps me know people have the same thoughts and experiences. You will get through it and be so happy on the other side! Best of luck!

LMTSC
on 5/4/17 5:29 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

Ativan never hurts.......LOL better living through pharmaceuticals

MonaLyssa33
on 5/5/17 2:06 am - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

I didn't get really anxious until the day of my surgery. I kept telling myself that I am young and relatively healthy and people less healthy than me have gotten through the surgery just fine. I was also extremely anxious because I was worried about my mom since she was the one in the waiting room and I know how she worries.

My therapist suggested before surgery that I listen to some pre-surgery meditations that can help you prepare for surgery and can also help you heal faster once it's done.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

LMTSC
on 5/5/17 2:13 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I can't really pin point why my anxiety levels feel high. I'm not afraid of surgery and like you, I'm healthy with the exception of my weight. I've taken the advice and made an appt to see a counselor who has helped me in the past.

Most Active
Recent Topics