Surgery date 4/26/17

erica5274
on 4/18/17 6:45 pm
VSG on 04/26/17
  • I am scheduled for surgery on 4/26/2017 and I am nervous any advice on what to expect before and after surgery? Thanks ?
JulesTree
on 4/18/17 10:11 pm
VSG on 04/07/17

I just had my VSG on April7th and was the same way. Before someone else says it, yes I know "everyone is different" so I'm telling you about my experience. I heard how easy it was for some people but unfortunately I wasn't one of them. Pre-Op was cake, Surgery was cake.. (apparently... I didn't wake up during it or anything, so I consider that a win). That's where the easy part ended for me.. when I woke up in recovery I was groggy but the more I came to, the more I realized the meaning of gas pain and pressure. Get to your room and get pain meds as soon as you can.. overall the hospital stay was okay.. I had pretty good nurses, so I was lucky.

When I went home was another story.. Walking and farting are your friends, no one is kidding about that part but I did not have the motivation to do much. The pain meds they sent me home was a liquid codeine and Tylenol mixture that my pain laughed at, but it helped just enough to put me to sleep. It was thick and hard to swallow but when you're in main you'll figure it out.

I slept in a recliner for about 4 days, which also sucked cause I'm a stomach sleeper.

Day 3-5 are the toughest but it does get better.

I'm almost 12 days post op & any issues I have now are minimal, so I know I can do this now.. (I'm just tired of soups and jello.)

So in closing, you'll be fine. It will absolutely suck for a few days but keep pushing through it and wait till it sucks less. We'll both be happier in the long run!! Good Luck!!

Sabrina J.
on 4/18/17 10:13 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Just had mine on the 10th and I was super nervous...should not have been...I was lucky that it went smoothly and so is post op. First week, take it easy and sip, sip, sip water and Chicken broth. Work on getting your liquid in and then when you do shakes get those in too, I do 3 a day. I brought a night gown, it was long (and cute). It covered nicely, was comfy and I did not have to worry about my bottom showing when walking. Also, I wore a sports bra with no metal, over the head one, that was nice to be supported in my nightgown when in bed and walking. You will be up a lot, be prepared for discomfort from incisions when getting up and down (mainly the largest one where they pull your stomach out of and sticth the muscle - at least on me). It will get easier to get in and out of bed, couch, etc. Follow what they say and you will do great!!

Shellygirl1024
on 4/19/17 4:53 pm

Hi hope all is going well. I am from Portland Maine and I am going to my patient orientation on may 16th very excited and nervous was wondering how long of a process it is before getting a surgery date? I hope to keep hearing about your updates it helps. Thank you ?

Gwen M.
on 4/19/17 4:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Follow your pre and post-op diets regarding liquids, pureed foods, and solids.

Walk and sip as much as possible immediately post-op.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nikki B.
on 4/19/17 10:42 pm

I had my surgery on 3/27. I followed my pre op diet to the T. My surgery and hospital stay was great. I literally slept 95% of the time the first several days. The only discomfort I had was in the first few days with turning or readjusting and getting up to go to the bathroom. At home, I was fortunate enough to take pain medicine only one time. I just got back from vacation for a week at the beach and I swam with the kids and was able to enjoy it. (All doctors are different. Mine said I could get in the pool just not deep in the ocean water). I do get tired kinda easy now but my surgeon said it could last 8 weeks.

I pray you have an uneventful experience as well!

Sleeved on 3.27.17 5'7" HW: 359 SW: 335.8 CW: 257 GW: 140

I am an extremely proud Momma & Blessed Wife from South Louisiana.

erica5274
on 4/20/17 4:12 am
VSG on 04/26/17

I appreciate everyone's advice and experiences. I have 6 days before surgery and I'm still nervous but so ready to make the change. I'm looking forward going through this journey and I appreciate the support of everyone on here.

Shellygirl1024
on 4/20/17 4:24 am

Good luck with everything hope all goes well. Please keep me posted on how things go I'm going through the process and am very excited and nervous:). Michelle

JulesTree
on 4/22/17 6:50 pm
VSG on 04/07/17

You'll do great! I'm 15 days post op, down 23 lbs and finally promoted to puréed foods. I had a stall week 2 for about 5 days but we're moving again (thank goodness!! Thought I did all this for nothing)

I'm finally feeling what it's like to feel some restriction, which I appreciate. No pain meds, my incisions look good.. Only one looks like something went down, the others look like little scratches. Reading other people's post about having these really cool docs bugs me a little. Mine has very little personality (bless his heart) and keeps changing my post-op diet plan. Not b/c of anything I'm doing, he just gives inconsistent answers when it comes to one week or two weeks of this or that. I'm not liking his randomness so I'm going to stick with the post-op printed instructions we initially talked about. Not gonna starve me cause you're having a bad day (joking)

Anyway, good luck ladies & let me know if you need anything!

Most Active
Recent Topics