How long until you could eat beef jerky?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/17/17 9:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

OP says "19 days post op" in the message :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 4/17/17 9:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

This would be a really good question for your surgeon. At less than 1 month post op, I'd be worried about getting a piece of something tough, or something like a large peppercorn, stuck in your staple line. Even if you chewed it really well, some tough meat could really irritate things and cause trouble.

Sabrina J.
on 4/17/17 10:05 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Hi - so I am 1 week out and you mentioning something getting stuck in the staple line freaks me out. I just had pureed soup with beans, chicken and broth, I pureed it good but the skin on the beans I could feel in my mouth even though did some pulverizing in my mouth. Is getting things stuck in your staple line something that happens often and does it not digest. Sorry - I get a little paranoid. Thanks!

on 4/18/17 7:47 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Something like a bean skin is soft and will digest quickly, you're probably fine.

There have been stories here of people eating things like fried chicken, popcorn, and tacos a few weeks out-- larger, crunchy pieces are the things more likely to cause trouble.

Sabrina J.
on 4/18/17 2:02 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Thank you for the clarification!!

cmp067
on 4/17/17 3:40 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

I've discovered Epic Bars - they are fantastic, and could satisfy your jerky craving. They are definitely softer and much easier to chew. They are a very different texture - so I would advise buying one or two and seeing if you like them first. They sell them at Trader Joe's and also on Amazon. I love them! The nutritional values vary by flavor, so check out the label as some have more calories, protein, etc., than others. I love the Chicken Sriracha! If you search this board, there are posts about them - this is where I first learned of them.

https://epicbar.com

As for when, I would ask your doctor, but they are soft and almost like a recompressed puree. I know that might sound icky but give them a try. They are good. Some even have small bits of fruit like cranberries. :)

Original VSG 3/23/2012 - Revision/Resleeve 1/6/2017

theAntiChick
on 4/18/17 8:22 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Beef jerky was hard for me to eat and digest for quite a while after my surgery ... I'm thinking it was well after 3-4 months post before I could get it down easily. I found that turkey jerky was a lot more moist and easier to chew up and digest, so I have pretty much switched to that even now that I can handle beef jerky again. :)

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Recent Topics