Undecided

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/17/17 3:08 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

You only really eat completely "differently" in the beginning when transitioning to foods. After that you should eat small portions of protein dense foods and maybe a little low-carb vegetable. The family can eat the same protein and veggies, possibly with another side dish. Ideally they will be eating healthy too. I had an interesting epiphany this week. My SIL (of 36 years) has always been very slim. She eats approximately the same quantities and similar foods as I do now. She has always eaten that way (hence her slimness), but I NEVER noticed it before!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Valerie G.
on 4/17/17 3:44 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Okay, with the eating disorders (binge eating, PTSD and all of that), seeing your therapist now and afterward is a wonderful practice for you to learn how to gain control. WLS will not cure any of that, so keep on working on yourself. It will put your surgeon at ease, too, knowing that you are working proactively not to sabotage the surgery.

I, too, have a dog right now named Meatball, and food is a huge part of my life. I have the duodenal switch, which has the sleeve stomach with added malabsorption features that the VSG does not have. With this, I have a lot more food options to enjoy without consequence. I had this procedure 11+ years ago and still loving it. People don't know by watching me eat that I had any weight loss surgery. I just eat smallish (way more than 3 forkfulls anymore) amounts and more frequently.

Hair loss usually comes around 3-4 months post-op, lasts 3-4 months and stops. It's called telogen effluvium, and it's going to happen no matter how much protein vitamins, or expensive shampoo you use. Individual results vary. My biggest recommendation is a makeover, because you will be noticing your weight loss and it will boost your mood. Incorporating some layers will blend in the new growth about the emerge, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JennaBabes
on 4/18/17 9:49 am

Thanks Valerie. I enjoyed reading your response. I enjoy everyone's response - it's all so helpful.

theAntiChick
on 4/18/17 8:26 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I have two blog posts that talk about my decision process:

http://www.theantichick.com/2016/07/26/two-roads-diverged-in -a-wood/

http://www.theantichick.com/2016/08/05/the-easy-way-out/

As far as what surgeon? I went with the one that I had confidence in and who treated me like an individual instead of a number in an assembly line. Small clinic, no billboards or TV ads. I'm thrilled with the service I've gotten.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Recent Topics