Gaining Weight after surgery :-(

Luna53
on 4/9/17 8:36 pm

Hi everybody

i had my surgery in September . My weight was 230 and 2 weeks ago I was weighting 177 but yesterday I had to go to the emergency room for ear infection and my weight was 183 :-( I am so depressed. I moved to Northern Ca a month aftèr my surgery to the mountains and I haven't been able to find a doctor to do my check ups and not even OA . I am totally without support group on this. I have been very hungry . Any suggestions that could help me? I hope I can find this border again. I am so dissapointed with myself :-(

LynnAlex
on 4/9/17 9:04 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Well, you have to decide if you want to lose weight. Most of us only see our surgeons or centers 1 or 2 times after surgery. YOU need to take control of your life. Why did you have surgery? What size do you want to be? It is easy, you have to make a choice. Do you want to keep eating, or be thin and healthy. If you want to lose weight the best way is to use a app like My Fitness Pal to log your food. Stay on the forums, reading at least an hour a day. Read the menu threads, see how much food people are eating at 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years. How many calories to maintain at 160, or 140, or 120. You will see that you can not eat whatever you want. The surgery only helps you for a short while. You need to use this time to develop good habits. I eat protein first, non-starchy vegetables, and probably once every other day some type of complex carb or fruit. This is for life. Maybe 2 times per month a taste of desert or a bite of a roll. If I am at the bottom of my range, I might go off plan. If I am at the top of my range, I am only eating protein. Again, this is for live, not while on a diet. I care about myself. You can do it. The best support is this website. I learn something almost everyday. A support group usually only meets once a month. We need support, daily, and even hourly. It here and in your head that you can make changes.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

shunt1960
on 4/10/17 3:56 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with

You are still early in the process. I highly recommend taking advantage of the 12-18 month window to get the weight off that you want to get off. After that it becomes harder and you have to be more diligent in tracking and watching what you are eating

I had VSG in 2010. I kept it off for 3 years then life happened and depression set in and long story short since that time I managed to regain most of it back. I just didn't care. I was ashamed that I had surgery and I failed at that too. Jump to January 2017, I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I went back to the appropriate eating habits, purged all the carbs, sugar and diet soda and put my nose to the grindstone.

As of today I have lost 60 lbs. I just wish I had paid closer attention to my body and well being and put on my big girl panties to get my head in the game.

I am back to working out 3-4 times a week and I eat well but healthy for my bod.

Don't give up, we will always battle our demons. I originally went from 306 to 190 and loved it.

I took my surgery for granted the first time. I'm going to beat my fat brain this time for life. I know it will take work and won't be easy but I've got this.

Gwen M.
on 4/10/17 4:53 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What, exactly, are you eating every day? Most of us find that sticking to dense proteins, like meat, keeps us more full for longer. I've also found that when I'm hungry it tends to be an acid issue or a hydration issue - making sure to push fluids tends to help, and taking a PPI for two weeks can also help.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Oneillch
on 4/11/17 7:42 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

You may want to find a nutritionist, to work with, that has experience with WLS patients. Check to see if any of the hospitals in your area, perform WLS & if they do, they might have a support group you can attend. Also, I believe that you can do an online meeting with OA. You have the tools & if you want this, you will find the help to succeed!

livingskinny
on 4/13/17 1:48 am - NC

It may also be the fact that you got weighed at the ER. I find there is at least a 5-7lb difference from my home scale and those at MD offices and etc. Don't get discouraged, this is a great support group. Remember the basics and you will be just fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics