Update on my "gas" pain

NurseNichi
on 4/4/17 11:25 pm - Vancouver, WA
VSG on 03/07/17

Just wanted to say thanks to those that responded to my question about my "gas pain" that I had last Friday. I did go in that afternoon and they immediately took me over to the hospital to be a direct admit. I was dehydrated from not eating or drinking much because it hurt more when I did, so they started fluids on me. They got my pain under control with some lovely dilaudid. Then they did blood tests and CT scans galore and thankfully everything came out clean. They were mainly worried about a leak as some of you mentioned, but thankfully I'm intact ? They kept me NPO (nothing by mouth) that day and night and started me on a medication that helps ulcers heal. Whether it was the medication or not eating or both, but whatever it was it worked wonderfully. By Saturday afternoon I was drinking again and not hurting. They kept me till Sunday to make sure I could handle oral intake without pain and I'm taking lots of acid reducers (I've had really bad acid reflux since my procedure). They think I might have developed an ulcer and want to make sure it doesn't create a hole. My docs also restarted my diet process which makes me sad since I was due to start soft solids this week, but I don't want to mess with anything that is healing so I'll go with it as long as necessary.

Anyway, Thanks again for your support last week.

Nichi

"I can do hard things!" ~me, I said this

White Dove
on 4/5/17 1:50 am - Warren, OH

Thanks for the follow up. I had been worrying about you and hoping that you were getting help.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 4/5/17 4:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm glad it was nothing more serious.

Drink! Drink like it was your full time job! Dehydration is the number one cause for hospitalization after WLS, by far. You will feel all kinds of pains and issues if you aren't drinking enough. And lack of fluids will stall your loss as well.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NurseNichi
on 4/5/17 10:27 am - Vancouver, WA
VSG on 03/07/17

Dehydration was actually the secondary reason for my hospitalization. I was actually dehydrated because I couldn't drink anything because of the pain, not because I didn't want to. I was actually trying to even get sips in all morning before I was on my way to the docs, but the pain afterwards was so bad. The abdominal pain was my main reason for hospitalization, but thanks for the helpful reminder. Drinking is VERY important!

Nichi

Gwen M.
on 4/5/17 4:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm glad you got things sorted out!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/5/17 11:19 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Glad everything is okay.

I get that gas pain pretty often -- in fact, I have it right now. It comes and goes for me. I attribute it to taking too big of bites and eating too quickly. I havent identified anything that triggers it. Not saying thats what caused for you, but I feel thats my reason.

Glad youre feeling better!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Readyjwc
on 4/5/17 2:36 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

So happy to hear you're on the mend! There's nothing worse than wanting to follow the plan but something preventing it that is not within your control.

Get well soon! Hang in there.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

CC C.
on 4/5/17 2:45 pm

I'm a big believer in better safe than sorry. So often we (women in particular) don't want to bother anyone or make a fuss, but if what you're experiencing doesn't seem right, it's always best to get checked out.

So glad you're alright. And that dilaudid saved my bacon with a kidney stone last week, so I believe in its magical powers of pain relief!

Valerie G.
on 4/7/17 9:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You would think they might have noticed a ulcer when they created your sleeve. They might have been able to repair it then. I think that's a downside to lap surgery vs. open. Some things might get missed without eyes and hands in the process

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

NurseNichi
on 4/7/17 7:36 pm - Vancouver, WA
VSG on 03/07/17

I know! I actually think I was developing one before surgery, but it might not have been flaming obvious. I thought for sure they'd tell me they saw something after the procedure because of all the ibuprofen I was taking beforehand. However, I also know from nursing school that after major surgery your body produces a lot more acid because it feels traumatized. Most surgery patients I cared for would get a PPI to reduce increased acid effects after procedures. So, my thought is that because I was producing a lot more acid and only taking an OTC antacid that it might have flared up an ulcer that was brewing.

Did you have an open procedure?

Nichi

Most Active
Recent Topics