Post op emotional rollercoaster

Crem_de_la_crem
on 4/3/17 8:30 pm
VSG on 03/21/17

Yeah I mean i guess I took it a way because honestly we are going through something and it's hard and she probably didn't mean it to be negative but it came off to me harsh or maybe I just took it harsh. But again I'm learning so I respect the advice not everyone is comfortable with therapy or believes that's the answer. I'm uncomfortable with going to therapy but that's just me I rather just talk to people who can relate and share their experience.

Nikke2003
on 4/4/17 7:47 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I was not "comfortable" with therapy either because therapy isn't supposed to be comfortable. It forces you to address incredibly difficult and personal issues. I'm not sure I have ever met someone that didn't have a bit of a tough time taking the first step and making an appointment.

My neighbor is a psychologist with a PhD and sees patients day in and day out. Still, she told me it took her years to seek therapy herself because she couldn't get past the hump of making the call.

I have yet to meet someone that regretted going though, assuming they found a therapist that was a good fit.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Crem_de_la_crem
on 4/4/17 8:06 am
VSG on 03/21/17

Great advice your absolutely right I am going to look into it and see if I can find some one right for me. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully my insurance pays for it.

Gwen M.
on 4/4/17 7:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I doubt there are many people who are comfortable going to therapy. And, sadly, doing what's comfortable is what got most of us to the point where we needed WLS.

I have found that choosing things outside of my comfort zone, like therapy for instance, is the road to success. If I kept doing what was "comfortable," I never would have pursued WLS and I certainly wouldn't have lost the weight I've lost, gone back to college, run a half marathon, etc, etc, etc.

Sometimes we need to do things that suck, because they'll help us get to where we want to be.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Memug46
on 4/3/17 3:33 pm
VSG on 03/21/17

I chewed but made sure not to swallow any of it. I know I shouldn't have but it sure took my feeling of deprivation go away. I start soft foods in a day so I am trying to be patient. I see them Wednesday and plan on discussing it with them.

Erin T.
on 4/3/17 3:47 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

Broth really helped me with cravings because so much of what I could eat was sweet, the salt was nice. The cravings like that went away when I moved to soft food.

But you'll still encounter situations where head hunger is going to rear up and a game plan is really important!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Gina 22 years out
on 4/3/17 4:21 pm - Burleson, TX

Memug, my HEART is with you, but my BRAIN has to be honest with you. Besides the obvious...the behavior of eating off the surgeon plan, etc being potentially dangerous...it can also cause your weight to not go in the desired direction...digestion STARTS in the mouth, you know...okay...you spit it out...but you chewed it up first....with your teeth...and your tongue...and your saliva...Do not fool yourself into thinking you didn't absorb some unwanted and unplanned calories, etc

Though it was long ago, I vividly remember my early post op days. I DREAMED of pizza. Well meaning people sent over pizza for my husband and children. I sat in my bedroom and CRIED. It was a very difficult time, but I, and countless others, have gotten through it, and you will too.

We are rooting for you!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Memug46
on 4/3/17 5:15 pm
VSG on 03/21/17

Thanks for that I have really been working on that. Trying to work on it daily and I am hoping talking to a counselor will help. I guess what gets me is my frustration. I do what I was told and see no weight loss. Not an excuse but something I fight with myself about.

Gina 22 years out
on 4/4/17 6:53 am - Burleson, TX

I would tell you to stay off that lying scale...to only weigh once a week, for at least a few months...but it wouldn't do any good, would it??? :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Memug46
on 4/4/17 9:15 am
VSG on 03/21/17

Lol you are probably right! I was going to tell my kids to hide it from me.

Most Active
Recent Topics