I had my eating disorder assessment today...

Gwen M.
on 3/31/17 2:28 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

"biblically hungary" was also amusing :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/31/17 9:22 am

NOS=Not otherwise specified, meaning it doesn't fit into a specific diagnostic category.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Donna L.
on 3/31/17 11:04 am, edited 3/31/17 4:07 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It doesn't necessarily mean the diagnosis is unspecific or they don't know. It depends on several factors.

Who did the assessment? Eating Disorder NOS we use if criteria are unspecific under the DSM 5. Under the DSM IV, certain disorders such as Binge Eating Disorder were not diagnoses, so if that was applicable and the clinician was only using the DSM IV, you could not be diagnosed with it. So, it depends on the clinician and their system. We all do this differently. For instance, when I diagnose an eating disorder I take a psychosocial history and use a few metric tools, as well as consult other of the medical providers who work on the individual's case. I use the DSM 5, and I actually can't even remember the last time I did an EDNOS diagnosis.

For instance, my psychologist only used DSM IV for assessments, so for my bariatric surgery I was diagnosed with Eating Disorder NOS in the assessment, even though I actually had a binge eating disorder diagnosis. It's because BED doesn't exist in the DSM IV, and we have to use the assessment language.

Don't read too much into the diagnostic label - what's more important are the symptom clusters the individual noted.

Feel free to get a copy of your assessment, or to call the clinician and inquire for specifics. Basically, there is not enough information to say why. Only the provider who diagnosed it knows, and you should ask them.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 3/31/17 2:29 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks for explaining this!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MonaLyssa33
on 3/31/17 5:10 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

I was diagnosed with EDNOS a couple of years ago. When asked I tell people I basically just have disordered eating. It's not compulsive or binge eating, although there were times I would binge (not anymore now), but how I viewed food was disordered. I've been catching myself falling back into those patterns, so I've talked to my therapist and I'm not allowing myself to get upset over carbs (aka not even bothering counting them).

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

Donna L.
on 4/3/17 11:50 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Many of us have an eating disorder who have had surgery. You are definitely not alone :)

It is a hard place to be in. Many will blame our surgery, or this or that, for the weight loss or gain. The reality is we developed an eating disorder in the past, and that it is a daily struggle that typical WLS patients may not even necessarily understand. It takes great strength and courage to do what you did, to just get an assessment. I put mine off for nearly 15 years. It is terrifying to do.

Congratulations on the first step, and if you need support, do not hesitate to get it!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Lethat37
on 4/5/17 11:13 am
VSG on 07/26/16

Thank you for your encouraging words

Most Active
Recent Topics