Ibuprofen

theAntiChick
on 3/27/17 8:11 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Always check with your medical team. They are the final say on anything related to your health.

NSAIDs and steroids raise the risk of ulcers because of they way they affect a substance called prostaglandin in the body. The risk can be somewhat mitigated through the use of PPIs.

The danger with RNY comes because the residual stomach that is no longer in use remains in the body, and can still develop ulcers even though it's not functioning. And because it's not functioning, the patient may not have symptoms until the ulcer is bleeding or ruptures and can be life threatening.

With VSG, the symptoms would be there just like with an unaltered stomach, so if an ulcer developed, it should be found and can easily be treated before it becomes life threatening.

Because of these differences, the contraindications for NSAIDs and steroids is considered relative for VSG and absolute for RNY. My team decided, for example, that because of my auto-immune condition, I need to be able to take NSAIDs and steroids when needed, but I have to stay on a PPI. So I have been cleared to take them, but advised to take them only when absolutely needed. We chose VSG over RNY because of the option. Most doctors, for most patients, will say no NSAIDs for VSG. But a particular patient situation can change the calculation.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Manda32
on 3/27/17 1:00 pm

So many different opinions. I will be allowed to use nsaids after I am six weeks post op. I'm not quite 2 weeks yet. The big reason I had it vs the RNY.

Doctor's have such varying opinions, regarding NSAIDs.

I'm an aleve user, so that's what the surgeon knows I will be using and is okay with that.

If tylenol works for you, maybe you could get Tylenol 3s after your surgery that might help with the pain. I'd talk to your doctor.

Like I said opinions vary so much on this very subject, best to talk with your doctor.

Good luck with your plastics on Thursday!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

siberiancat
on 3/28/17 4:25 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I have arthritis. I had to stop ibuprofen and arthritis meds because they have NAISDS. I've also had small bowel ulcers - so no NAISDS for me.

Tylenol helps very little (except for a headache).

I'm taking some supplements for the arthritis and using essential oils for pain relief.

After plastics and other surgeries since my RNY 8 years ago I've taken synthetic narcotis that are Tylenol based - you need a written prescription. Just tell your surgeon you can't have NSAIDS.

Advil, Motrin, Aleve are all NSAIDS - so I'd think NO.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

lexxiblue
on 4/1/17 6:11 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

I'm from Canada and had plastics just before my 4th year surgiversary!!! and i was given tylenol 3 and oxycotin.. (which i filled the prescription but never took). up here we can take tylenol... and like "down there" we cant take NSAIDS!!! good luck!

Vegbeth
on 4/1/17 7:16 pm, edited 4/1/17 12:16 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

I'm just over 3 months out of surgery and have always had trouble with nsaids. Prior to surgery I was given a nsaid called arthrotec that has a stomach protecting ingredient in the formular. I was able to tolerate this med and would ask again for it if I were in a situation where Tylenol wasn't touching the pain. I can't take Tylenol 3 or Tylenol with codein or Percocet. All of these have given me severe stomach pains. Like most I've been told no nsaids ever.

Most Active
Recent Topics