Has anyone gained weight taking Tegretol?

Anne1973
on 3/22/17 9:18 am
VSG on 10/09/13

Had my sleeve surgery over 3 years ago..hit my goal of 135lbs and have maintained. I was just diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. Confirmation of my diagnosis by my PCP..Neurologist and an MRI. I have been prescribed Tegretol..as the neuralgia pain is constant and times can be severely debilitating. There are many side effects with this drug..one could be weight gain. My neurologist has assured me that I will not gain weight from taking the Tegretol..however I keep reading and hearing differently. People I've spoken to have had rapid weight gain..and my pharmacist informed me that weight gain is a side effect. I will take the medication regardless..as I cannot go through daily life with this pain.

Just wondering if anyone here had any experience with this drug and weight gain?

Thanks!

heidikat72
on 3/22/17 12:01 pm - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/tegretol-side-effects.html

Weight gain is listed under metabolic side effects in the "common" category where common side effects occur in 1-10% of patients (extrapolation from reports during clinical trials). Just taking tegretol won't automatically add weight, you would still have to consume more calories than you use in order to gain weight. So you have the knowledge that there is the potential for weight gain and can be extra mindful regarding your caloric intake. So if you've stopped tracking your food intake, perhaps start again so you can make adjustments if needed while on tegretol.

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

Anne1973
on 3/22/17 5:37 pm
VSG on 10/09/13

Thank you for your response. I have also researched the many side effects of this drug..very aware that weight gain is one of them. However..it is very confusing when 2 different medical professionals provide conflicting information. Even though individuals can react differently to the same drug..sometimes it's beneficial to hear personal experiences of people in the same boat. Caloric intake is tracked daily..one of my most important tools in my being successful in maintaining my weight loss.

again thank you for your feedback :-)

AggieMae
on 3/22/17 12:44 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

You won't gain fat unless your consume more calories.Some people retain fluid but most do not. This is similar to the statistical chances of gaining weight on birth control pills. But in reality far more women gain weight, sometime huge amounts, mostly it'd mostly because they use medication as an excuse.

I also have trigeminal neuralgia. it started l

(along with Bell's palsy) less than 2 weeks after my VGS surgery. The pain is severe some days but I hardly notice it on others. I take neurotin.

Anne1973
on 3/22/17 5:43 pm
VSG on 10/09/13

Hi AggieMae,

Thank you for your helpful response. I do believe that it also has much to do with caloric intake. Was also a bit worried about fluid retention..I guess will deal with that if it happens.

Im glad to hear that most days you don't have pain. I hope the Tegretol will ease my discomfort as well..it's been a harrowing few months until I was finally diagnosed.

Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics