Three Year Survigersary (one day late)

cc583
on 3/14/17 4:28 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16
On March 14, 2017 at 1:57 PM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

Yesterday was my third surgiversary! I had planned on posting yesterday, but time ran away from me.

I'm not going to bother to post about the weight I've lost. 1) you can read this in my signature and 2) the numbers are really the least important part about what this surgery has done for me.

Three years ago I gave myself the ultimate kindness and had VSG. I've never regretted this for a single day.

People ask me, "couldn't you have lost weight without the surgery?" I might have been able to, sure, but what matters is that I didn't.

People ask me, "you say you're happier now, couldn't you have found that happiness without losing weight/surgery?" I might have been able to, sure, but what matters is I didn't.

People ask me, "has losing weight/surgery let you pursue your dreams?" The answer here is no, since I WAS pursuing my dreams prior to VSG. The difference now is that I'm dreaming dreams I never even considered I could dream. I have dreams now that I never wanted. I'm pursuing THOSE dreams. Pre-WLS, it never crossed my mind to go back to college, to run a half marathon (or to run at all), to foster a well developed yoga practice, etc, etc, etc. These are all dreams that weight loss inspired me to dream. I've gone rock climbing (indoor) and hiking and to trampoline parks and I love it all.

WLS and weight loss is not a cure all. My dad still died in April, there's still stupid drama in my life with people who create stupid drama, I still feel unprepared for exams, there are still ice storms, I still argue with my partners, Trump was still elected president, I still had to help my mom sell her home and get settled into a CCRC. But getting my weight going in the right direction gave me the breathing space I needed to shore up my mental/emotional foundations. I started seeing a therapist on a regular basis, I got diagnosed with an eating disorder and started medication for it, I sought out a bereavement group when my dad died, I spend more time on myself and I try to invest more time in the relationships that matter to me. These are all things I wouldn't have done pre-op. The changes I've made post-op have allowed me to weather the crap that life has thrown in my path.

I still want to lose more weight. I have my first two rounds of plastic surgeries scheduled and I'll be able to schedule the third once the fall class schedule posts. I'm graduating with my AA (Exercise and Sport Science, wtf?!) in May and then will begin work on TWO BS degrees in July (Gerontology and Aging Services AND Health Management Services). I'll be running my SECOND half marathon shortly after my 4th surgiversary.

Life is good. More importantly, I'm living dreams I had never even thought to dream.

Thanks to all of you for being a part of this for me.

Congratulations!

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

jachristmas
on 3/14/17 5:21 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

What an amazing journey! Thank you for sharing, it brings so much hope and encouragement to those of us just starting ours!

Arjeffries
on 3/14/17 6:08 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Great job!

Readyjwc
on 3/14/17 8:58 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Happy Anniversary Gwen! Thanks for sharing...loved it.

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Notaboutperfect
on 3/14/17 10:42 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

Well said! Lovely, eloquent , and inspiring.

GooseGirl
on 3/15/17 2:22 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Gwen,

Loved this post. I think you really captured my feelings about what this surgery has enabled me to do in my life as well. Keeping finding new dreams to dream. You are a true inspiration!

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/17 2:35 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Lovely of you to share this. I am early in the process, 3 months post vsg, and appreciate the words of wisdom.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/16/17 4:08 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Well written and powerful! Thank you for your reflections Gwen!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Most Active
Recent Topics