Not your average question about skin

Ardiem
on 3/4/17 12:29 am
VSG on 10/27/16

So, despite my near hysterical post around four months ago, I went through with the surgery. My experience at first was pretty typical. Hurt a lot less than I thought it would! I've been losing weight at a clip I've never experienced before, in part because my body had so much trouble with the sleeve. I was unable to keep things down starting at the end of month one no matter how small of a bite I took, how well I chewed, or what I was eating/drinking.

After some checking my doctor diagnosed me with mild ulcers and a mild draining problem. Two weeks on Carafate and Reglan and I've been on solid foods with little/no nausea since! However, I seem to have encountered a new issue that is painful and confusing.

While I know many people deal with rashes under the skin flaps, my "apron" or belly flap is completely clear of rash. That should be great news, but it confuses me because when I move around the skin under the left side of my flap feels like it is tearing. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it hurts more than the surgical incisions did. It's been preventing me from sleeping for two nights now, as when I move in my sleep it feels like I'm just ripped my flesh open.

The skin is completely dry and rashless, and fearing it was too dry I've been using lotion to help moisturize my skin...that doesn't seem to have helped at all.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? It feels almost as if my skin is being rolled up tightly when I move, but as far as I can tell it's not actually doing that. I have a check in on Wednesday and plan on bringing it up then but I'd love to hear what people have to say!

joanne0658
on 3/4/17 6:20 am

only thoughts i have and helped me, although i didn't experience this as severe as you, is moisturize on the outside and hydrate your innards . . . . i try to stick with 1/2 cup of water every 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. 4 oz is so doable, allows our body to absorb and doesn't cause "i-gotta-go" release of the precious h2o.

hoping this helps until wednesday when you speak with your physician . . . .

jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

Stacy_WLS
on 3/4/17 7:16 am

I'd definitely call your surgeon. I've never heard of anything like this. If they don't have any ideas, call a dermatologist.

I'm sorry you have had troubles with the sleeve. Good Luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Ardiem
on 3/4/17 1:38 pm
VSG on 10/27/16

Thanks you two! I am extremely well hydrated these days and I've been using moisturizer to try and help the situation...no relief so far though. Last night was an entirely sleepless night. Good thing I have a doctors appointment! lol

joanne0658
on 3/5/17 8:33 am

3 more days and i'm sure your doc will help sort it out. sending good thoughts your way. please let us know how it goes . . . .

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/17 7:48 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I was having some pain on my left side, under the flap of skin, and it felt like a tear. Like you, I had no rash, redness, etc. I notice when I wear compression clothing it really helps to hold all of my skin tight and against my body so that when I workout or walk there is no sagging, flapping, wiggling, jiggling, tension, etc. to cause pain. Hoping you don't have anything serious going on but I could kind of relate to possibly the pain you may be feeling.

Rachel B.
on 3/5/17 8:40 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

If nothing else, its good to tell the doc for documentation to support medical necessity for plastics. That way it could be covered by insurance, hopefully.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

rocky513
on 3/6/17 6:57 am - WI

It could be nerve regeneration. Nerves behave weirdly for awhile after surgery.

It could also be scar tissue forming. These strands of scar tissue, called adhesions, are like long strings that attach themselves to the peritoneum (abdominal lining) and the skin. Sometimes movement can tear at these adhesions, causing pain. It's not dangerous, but it hurts like hell.

Please call your surgeon if it persist. Adhesions can be removed, but there is no guarantee that they won't grow back.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Laura in Texas
on 3/6/17 7:31 am

Do you have the same feeling when you wear compression garments? Have you tried that to eliminate the movement of your skin? There are comfortable options out there.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics