Maintenance - How Much Menu Variance Do We Need?

catwoman7
on 3/3/17 6:47 am
RNY on 06/03/15

p.s. and head changes - absolutely! This has been a wild ride! I would have never dreamed I'd be this successful with my WLS. My original goal was to get down to 199 lbs. Even that sounded like a pipe dream after weighing over 300 for so many years! The dietitian at my clinic said only about 10% of formerly SMO patients make it to a normal BMI - and I've read that in a couple other places as well. Why I was one of them, I don't know. I was always worried that I was eating more calories and carbs than a lot of the other people on this site, and that I was losing weight more slowly. But then...here I am. I made it. I do credit this site with a lot of my success, though. I'm on here every day, so it keeps me focused on my eating plan. I almost never go off my plan. And there are so many wildly successful people on here who have served as an inspiration to me. I don't think I'd be where I am now if I had to rely solely on those once-a-month support groups at my clinic (not that they aren't helpful, but I really need the daily motivation and accountability that I get here).

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

aba1970
on 3/3/17 2:12 am
VSG on 01/16/17

I think it is worth mentioning that a highly varied diet has been linked to overeating.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/nutrition/is-dietary-v ariety-overrated_10722

If it is variety you seek, maybe find it in different fruits and veggies. I find that limiting my menu choices helps in planning, which keeps me on task. And it sounds like it is working for you, so I would hesitate to change anything up just yet.

Best wishes!

What happens tomorrow is the result of what you do today.

VSGAnn2014
on 3/3/17 6:00 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Exactly! Yesterday I read the same thing (that eating a greater variety of foods can lead to overeating) in various places online and thought immediately of .. buffets!

Your suggestion of expanding the variety of veggies / fruits I eat is exactly the plan I've come up with. Thanks for the encouragement.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Stacy_WLS
on 3/4/17 7:23 am

I have read that people who have consistent menu's have better results losing or maintaining weight. So that could be part of your success.

In terms or nutrient variation / health -- this may be a better question for a doctor.

BUT - my opinion, if our weight is healthy, that is a HUGE step forward in health. If you are taking vitamins on top of including fruits and vegetables in your diet, you are probably in great shape nutrition wise.

Great job! Keep it up!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

diane S.
on 3/4/17 11:50 am

Interesting topic Ann. I too eat the same thing for breakfast most days (GY) and the same few things for lunch (cheese sticks, jerky, tuna in a pouch, maybe a small can of tomato juice or grapes or carrots). Dinner is a set of options that are easy and convenient. Grilled chicken with various sauces, steamed veggies, hamburger with no bun, grilled tilapia or ahi or eggs and turkey bacon.

I used to really like to cook and enjoyed making elaborate (and fattening) things and I have no interest in that any more. My former fat self was always looking for new and interesting things to cook or eat in restaurants. So I don't think sameness is a bad thing. Doesn't mean you can't improvise or stop what you are tired of. It just means that eating fancy ultra yummy stuff is not a primary goal in life. My idea of a big treat is to go get fresh crab at the crab shack. Or once in awhile a prime rib which ends up being three dinners.

If you get bored with your food, there are always tasty healthy options that do not involve Krispy Kreme. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

diane S.
on 3/4/17 11:51 am

P.S. my surgeon says he eats the same thing for breakfast every day. GY, v-8 juice and a hard boiled egg. I kind of suspect thats on work days but whatever.

dh101
on 3/4/17 2:38 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

Paint me really concerned. I eat a global palette today. If I have to ean

t the same thing over and over, I'll never make it. I dont mind eating only high fiber grains instead of potatoes, white rice, and white bread. I also don't mind only having 1 to 3 1/4 cooked portions in a week.

But chicken breasts are worth eating, if it is not dark meat, why bother. I love lean pork, almost everything aquatic, beef, venison, ostrich, dark meat turkey. Heck I even like the taste of tofu! I don't drink milk, but love cheese.

I like veggies. Even collards.

i enjoy cooking Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Creole & Cajun, Texmex, Italian, French, German, & Polish! I don't mind living on tiny portions, but taste variety is critical to me.

From what the team at my clinic tell me, that it will take time for my sleeve to heal enough to where I can tolerate some foods. However there is no reason to feel that I can not eat the variety I enjoy today.

Ok, I won't be able to eat a banana split. But I haven't wanted one since I was 18. A box of cookies, or box of chocolates are no-nos. I don't mind, and haven't even gone there in a racoon's age.

So hopefully you can mix up the variety of what you eat and still stay with in the calories and proportions you truly need.

DH

diane S.
on 3/4/17 5:20 pm

Your point of view is well said. And if it works for you, go for it. Breakfast and lunch are pretty much standard for me out of convenience but I do like some choice for dinner. So does hubby. Intense tastes can be great. All the best. Diane S

Beth C.
on 3/5/17 8:07 am
VSG on 01/19/17

I'm 6 weeks post op and on to real foods. So I'm no where near maintenance. My husband and I are a little OCD with structure so we actually have like certain dinners certain days of the week..

turkey meatloaf monday

salmon wednesday

tacos Thursday ( mine is in a whole wheat fajita shell so its tiny)

but I also like variety or I start getting cravings and feeling deprived. So I found what works for me is I use the same basic things for my work week Breakfats and lunches. With two I alternate. Then dinners are above and the days not set are most often a type of chicken. We have feathers in this house.

Sundays are Science food experiments, Thanks to Eggface's blog. My daughters and I cook and food prep, I get my variety while trying new healthy recipes and I make them for the whole family. Today is crock pot pulled pork. I measure and MFP everything to keep on track so I don't overeat but I don't get bored and slide off track.

Beth

Heaviest-325

Starting W-243

Surgery day-227

VSGAnn2014
on 3/5/17 12:38 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

And that is so simple and so workable. My only error (if there's one thus far) has been not having quite enough variation. I think yours is great.

BTW, I'm still MFP'ing 2 years and nearly 7 months post-op. It keeps me honest.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active
Recent Topics