What should i expect the day of and during the stay at the hospital? What should i bring?

hayleyskinner1394
on 3/1/17 6:35 pm

since my doctor told me i will be staying the night in the hospital.. '

what should i expect before and after surgery?

What should i bring to the hospital?

A pillow?

What should i wear?

Erin T.
on 3/1/17 6:49 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

In my case, before surgery I just sat on a stretcher and they gave me some IV fluids, antibiotics and eventually some meds to take the edge off before surgery and then wheeled me down. I was there about an hour an a half before I went to the OR. I remember nothing after entering the OR and then just a brief snippet in recovery. 

For the first day I slept a lot because they gave me IV pain meds and they hit me hard. That night I threw up/dry heaved and I did that for about 36 hours every 1-2 hours. I got up and walked, tried to sip on fluids and protein and slept. One of the anti-nausea meds they were giving me wiped me completely out (which is typical). I was there two nights which is standard for my surgeon. 

I used my own pillow and I brought a bathrobe to put over the hospital gown when walking the halls and rubber bottom slippers. I also brought a comfy outfit to come home. Shampoo, a tooth brush and I didn't use anything else but my phone (barely). 

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Kathy S.
on 3/1/17 7:15 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi hayleyskinner1394,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

Here are some additional links that may help you!

What to Expect the Day of Your WLS Surgery

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

hayleyskinner1394
on 3/1/17 7:22 pm

Thank you!

Ive been waiting for so long.. iwill hear tomorrow about the approval! Hopefully i had gotten it tomorrow or by friday,the latest!  He already wants to do the surgery at the end of this month!

MonaLyssa33
on 3/1/17 7:56 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

I packed a couple changes of clothing, but I ended up just wearing the hospital gown the entire time and no underwear. I also brought my cross stitching and 2 books thinking I'd actually get around to them, but the IV prevented me from cross stitching and I wasn't really in the mood to read. I ended up spending most of the time on my Kindle or my phone or watching TV since I don't have a TV at home.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

heidikat72
on 3/2/17 6:54 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

I took way more than I needed so I'll say what I actually used. My practice had us spend two nights in the hospital.

Phone and charger

Pillow for the car ride home (holding it against your abdomen applying gentle pressure helps hold everything in place in case there are any bumps along the ride, reducing any discomfort or pain)

chapstick - lips were very dry

clean underwear - I wore the same outfit home (loose comfy clothing) that I wore to the hospital since I had only had it on a couple hours before surgery. I didn't bring shorts or anything to wear in the hospital but some people do - personally, I wore maxidresses (surgery was in june) for a good week post op just for the comfort factor. Surprisingly, the hospital gowns were plenty big to keep everything covered during my walks around the hospital floor.

I took gas-x strips - some people swear by them to help with the gas pain after surgery but I never used them.

I took a couple of magazines but never read them until after I got home. Some people take an ipad or kindle device with books or movies already downloaded.

I made sure the shoes I wore were slip on shoes so I didn't have to deal with bending down and tying them - made it easy too for getting up to walk around while in the hospital

I had also gotten some mouth spray (can't remember the name of it now) based on recommendations on here/another forum since for the first 24 hours I wasn't allowed to swallow anything but I never used it. Yes my mouth got dry but I was allowed an ice chip now and then to melt in my mouth. Your throat may be sore from being intubated but it gets better pretty quickly

I also took my own toothbrush, toothpaste and hairbrush but honestly the hospital can provide a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Your practice will give you specifics about what will happen when you first arrive at the hospital. In my case, I got there early (just how it worked out since I had a friend take me before she went to work). When I got called back to the prep area, they took a blood sample to do some quick checks (not sure entirely what but being a woman, they always do a pregnancy test). Then the anethesiologist came in and started my iv line (mine even put in an extra line in my chest in case since I have a history of IV lines blowing out so they wanted a back up already in place in case that happened during surgery). Two of the residents working with my surgeon came in and asked me questions and just walked me through the procedure. Then I got taken to the OR, laid on the table and they started the anesthesia. I remember being told to count backwards but don't even remember starting to count.

I woke up in the recovery area afterward pretty out of it. Bright lights and about 6 people standing over me in scrubs and masks who kept asking me how I felt. I was so out of it all I kept saying was "I don't know, I don't know how I feel". Funny when I think back on it. I wouldn't say I had pain, but more pressure and discomfort - like a bunch of weights were sitting on my abdomen. I drifted in and out of sleep for a little bit but was soon demanding to get up so I could walk. Unfortunately the patient in the room I was supposed to go into ended up not getting discharged so I was in the recovery room from noon until almost 11pm before I got to my actual room. And they didn't really want me to be up and walking in the recovery room - not enough nurses for the number of people in there - so that was really my only complaint. I wanted to walk and be able to go to an actual bathroom but instead I had to use a bedpan to pee right there in front of everyone. Once I got to my actual room I was fine.

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

Rachel B.
on 3/2/17 9:46 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I think biotene mouth spray is what the person above was looking for. And a lot of folks said put clean sheets on your bed before you leave for the hospital so you have a nice clean bed to come home to.

GOOD LUCK!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Sai F.
on 3/3/17 9:37 am
VSG on 09/02/16

Brought a pillow for the ride home to put on my tummy and hug it to offset the bumps in the road. I had my revision in outpatient but since I was still sore the next day, I'm sure it'll still help. I wore something baggy, easy to take off and put on. Good luck!

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Ardiem
on 3/4/17 12:44 am
VSG on 10/27/16

My personal experience? I was far too tired and sore to do much of anything during my four day hospital stay. I exclusively used the hospital gown while in the hospital, and I brought an extremely loose fitting pair of pants to wear home because others had suggested it. I took a pillow with me and used it to vanguard my incisions during the arduous ride home, and I was extremely thankful to the people who had told me I'd need it.

I went all out for packing. I brought my laptop, my phone and phone charger...I wanted to make sure my entertainment needs were met to help distract me from any pain I felt....but it was never needed.

I spent my awake time being walked by my nursing staff, and by the time I would lay back down I wouldn't have enough energy left in me to even watch TV. I slept the majority of my time, and walked the unit the rest.

Still, a phone to let your loved ones know you're doing fine. If not for your own sake then theirs.

cmp067
on 3/5/17 3:50 am
VSG on 03/23/12

All you need is your clothes to go home in, a couple of pairs of clean, loose undies and a hairbrush. I also brought a minty flavored EOS for the first day when you can't drink. Hospital gives you everything else including vaseline for your lips, gown, non-slip socks, lotion, soap, little sponges to soak in water to wet your mouth, a pill crusher, all your meds, etc. You may want to double check with your surgeon to make sure the hospital provides those things, but in my case, they did. Don't forget your hairbrush, that is the one thing I have never been given in hospital. Best of luck!

Original VSG 3/23/2012 - Revision/Resleeve 1/6/2017

Most Active
Recent Topics