Losing my mind

Sparkly609
on 2/10/17 6:43 pm, edited 2/10/17 6:57 pm

Ok so I haven't been back on here in forever... But I need some advice and support.  

I had vsg in September of 2015 and lost about 70lbs. Lately I have been feeling like I am always hungry and have made terrible designs causing me to gain 15lbs in the past month. And I really haven't lost anything in the past 10 months but that didn't bother me I was pretty happy with where I was.  

I am really trying to get back on it how we it feels like my stomach has just expanded back to where it was.  Anyone else end up in this situation before.  Was it the end of success or how did you get back to losing and helping the sleeve get back to work? 

Ahhh

Gwen M.
on 2/10/17 6:51 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You CAN do this.  If you aren't already, you need to start measuring and tracking every single thing you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.  Stick to dense proteins as much as possible.  From there, work on getting back to the basics.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different:

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
      a. Do not drink while eating or for 30 minutes after eating
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparkly609
on 2/10/17 6:56 pm

Thank you. I am starting to log again... Bought a new scale that connects to my phone via WiFi and have stocked up on my premier protein.  I've been working out more lately but need to realize that it's not enough.  Diet is everything. 

Gwen M.
on 2/10/17 6:57 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Remember that shakes won't fill you up in the same way that dense protein will.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Rachel B.
on 2/10/17 7:26 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I had gained back 95 lbs.  in October, I was 90 over & started eating like just after surgery again.  Lean proteins, no carbs, very limited fruits.  I am here every day being accountable.  And I have lost almost 35#.  You can restart the process!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

pieg00
on 2/11/17 2:51 pm

you give e hope! thank you.

pieg00
on 2/11/17 2:53 pm

you give me hope! thank you.

White Dove
on 2/11/17 1:48 am, edited 2/10/17 5:49 pm - Warren, OH

Surgery has a honeymoon period when you lose weight effortlessly and then keep it off effortlessly.  During that honeymoon you have an opportunity to learn how to change your eating and exercise habits so that you can keep the weight off after the honeymoon.

For almost everyone, the honeymoon is followed by the bounce-back.  That is when 20% of the lost weight comes back almost overnight.  It includes being hungry again and being able to eat almost as much as before surgery,

That is your body's way of recovering from the surgery.  It is why it is a good idea to use the honeymoon to lose 20% more than you hope to maintain for life. 

Your sleeve does not stay tiny.  If it did we would starve to death.  It will never grow back to the original size but it will get big enough to hold lots of food again.  When I had bounce-back regain at two years out I went to my surgeon in panic.

His nutritionist met with me.  She advised no more protein shakes and to fill up on dense protein instead.  I switched to Greek yogurt for breakfast.  I ate beef, pork, poultry, fish or eggs for other meals.  I weighed each portion and tracked it carefully.  When I stay at 900 calories a day I lose a pound a week.  It is slow but doable.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 2/11/17 6:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Okay so the bad news is that it's never going to be as easy as it was in 2015 to lose weight.  Your honeymoon period is over and the real work begins.

The good news is that even though your sleeve has stretched, it's nowhere near the original size of your stomach.  It's probably not even 12oz yet (the original size of stomach is around the size of a football).  Fill it with dense protein and let go of the indulgent foods you have let back into your life now that you have more stomach space (they need not be mentioned, but it happens with all of us)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparkly609
on 2/11/17 7:03 am

Thank you everyone. I had a really great day yesterday with my choices, working out and the dh is getting me a new fitbit for vday. I remember how excited I was and motivated when I started this journey and I need that excitement back.  I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.  

Most Active
Recent Topics