Post-Op results with PCOS and Diabetes?

rachel_lynn
on 2/10/17 10:46 am

More? Or more often? I'm assuming that by eating more, you're increasing your chances of stretching your stomach though? (Not trying to sound sarcastic, honestly curious... and communication via text it's sometimes hard to tell the difference lol)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/10/17 10:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Both. You can eat more often, you can eat a larger volume of food (it's physically possible to eat more volume of carbs than of protein), or you can eat food that is more dense in calories.

It's very difficult to stretch your stomach. Repeatedly binge-eating to the point of pain may do it over time, but it's not nearly as much of an issue as folks often seem to think.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

rachel_lynn
on 2/10/17 10:53 am

Gotcha. Thank you!!

animallover1247
on 2/11/17 6:05 pm

Well I decided on the sleeve for several reasons. First is the malabsorption is worse with the bypass. I'm already anemic and iron is one of the six nutrients that is most at risk when you have bypass. Secondly I personally didn't want my intestines rerouted. Also the surgery itself is riskier. My doctor recommended the sleeve for me over bypass. The hair loss is generally worse with bypass and that scared me to death. I've personally known several people who have had problems with bypass. My friends brother was riddled with kidney stones which is a potential problem with bypass. My cousin ended up in the hospital because her intestines were twisted. Of course this doesn't mean you would have problems and it doesn't mean I would have either. 

I certainly would not worry about losing too much weight. I don't think that is a common problem. Carbs will cure that :) Just kidding. 

Definitely do as much research as you can and consider your doctor's recommendation of course.

rachel_lynn
on 2/11/17 7:27 pm

Thank you for your response. I feel the same about worrying about the complications of the bypass, but I know everyone has their reasons for why they have chosen the surgery they did, or will. My PCP recommended the sleeve, but I haven't met with the surgeon yet.... thanks again! 

Valerie G.
on 2/11/17 6:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Type 2 diabetes usually lessens or goes to remission as weight is lost.  If people regain (and many do), many have found that it can come back with a vengeance.  Do look at the other procedures and do some big comparisons of how each works, for they attack obesity in a different way.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rachel_lynn
on 2/11/17 8:03 am

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it! I plan to look into all of my options, and throughly compare all of them. Since I have a little time before I can start the process with the surgeon, I'm trying to make the best of that time and gather as much information and resources as I can during this time. 

Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics