Where moderation got me ...

justpete
on 2/14/17 12:26 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

you look awesome though.  :)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/17 2:11 pm

I think moderation is an individual thing. I really do. We, over time, have to find a way of eating that works for us over the long haul.

I had to give up on moderation because it just doesn't work for me (more biochemical than anything), but I admire those who can manage moderate "normal" eating. I've read some research on the eating habits of naturally thin people compared to those who struggle with obesity. Naturally thin people tend to compensate on an unconscious level for extra calories they consume. I'm not in that camp. At 5 years out I know my idea of moderation is still whacked! LOL! 

So.... What I have had to do is adopt a philosophy of sustainable eating. For me that includes fruit, some grains, occasional bread, protein, dairy, and vegetables and of course, healthy fats. What I have to avoid to maintain sustainable eating is refined sugar. Something about the sugar sets me off and a simple cookie can truly start the beginning of a binge. I'm just coming off a few weeks of higher sugar intake and am reminded how well I feel when I eat a natural, whole food based plan. 

Congrats on finding a way of living a healthy and fulfilling life! 

Most Active
Recent Topics