How are the really recent VSGERS doing?

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/7/17 9:50 am
VSG on 02/01/17

Hello all,

I'm wondering how all of the recent post ops are doing.  I am six days out, working my butt off of getting in protein and liquids, and feeling good about this decision.  I still have a fair amount of pain in the big incision, and have horrible gas in the gi system (not surgery gas anymore). I'm hoping that I am off pain meds in the next few days. 

I've really enjoyed using this forum as a resource, as there is lots of wisdom here.  How are all of you?  Is the pain better? How's the food progression..when ate you going back to work..etc?

Rachel

Cathy H.
on 2/7/17 10:13 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I found that protein powder gave me gas, you may be having the same issue.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

CMB_713
on 2/7/17 11:50 am
VSG on 01/31/17

Hi Rachel!

Sounds like you're doing great!   I know it's tough getting all the protein and fluids in, I'm managing it okay.  As sick as I am of the protein shakes, I am a little nervous about advancing to pureed foods.  I am still excited to move forward, though!  My pain has been manageable, for the most part, though there are moments when it gets pretty uncomfortable if I walk too much. 

My post-op appointment is tomorrow, so I guess that I'll see what they say about food progression and going back to work.  The surgery occurred during a transition from one job to another.  Fortunately, my new boss agreed to put off my start date for a couple of weeks, so after the post-op we will decide on a start date.  Like you, I am enjoying the forums and all of the different perspectives a lot.  I peek through the topics a couple of times a day while I'm home. 

Best of luck!

Chris

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/8/17 7:23 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Chris,

How did the apt go?  I hopersonally they are happy with your progress. :)

Rachel 

Readyjwc
on 2/7/17 2:32 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi:

I'm 15 days out. No pain or discomfort. Down 12 lbs. Waiting to go to dietician on Thursday to see if I can eat scrambled eggs, tuna etc. Basically I know when to stop eating - my stomach makes a weird grumbling noise or I burp. I can eat a whole Dannon Light and Fit yogurt (5.3 oz).

Still trying on the water and protein. Not easy since I wasn't a water drinker before. I put Crystal Light into at least one water per day. Protein...Unjury unflavored powder has helped me but I'm not as close as I should be.

Keep in touch....

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/7/17 2:57 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

It's so interesting to see how everyone is doing.  Thanks for the replies. I wonder if it is the protein that gives me gas as often during the day my stomach feels like it's literally boiling with gas it's crazy!  

I feel like getting the water in as a bummer as well as I was a huge soda drinker before. I just lived for carbonation so that has been a huge change for me!

I cannot even imagine trying to change jobs during this process.  That's pretty brave to do, but how wonderful to have a boss that was willing to give you the time you needed to heal.

I too am nervous about progressing on foods.  I have some light yogurt that I'm technically allowed to eat and I just haven't been able to make myself eat it yet and I'm too scared.

Let's keep strong and getting healthier. 

Warm regards,

Rachel 

Kathy S.
on 2/7/17 3:00 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

CrystalLee
on 2/8/17 3:10 pm
VBG on 01/30/17

I'm recovering pretty well. Went to the dr yesterday and got my drain out. That thing was awful. Still have some abdominal pain from it and finding a comfortable position to sleep is still an issue. I'm tolerating and keeping down the full liquid diet I'm on, except soups don't do so well. Lots of protein shakes and yogurt/smoothies with added protein powder. I get to start on puréed food on Monday and I've never been so excited to eat tuna and scrambled eggs (not together ?). Since my pre-op appt on Jan 24th I've lost 12 lbs. and another 3 this morning, so I'm really excited for this new chapter in my life!

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/8/17 7:21 pm, edited 2/8/17 11:22 am
VSG on 02/01/17

CrystalLee,

A drain, yikes!  I didn't have one.  I had one for another surgery and it was not fun getting it out.   12 pounds down is amazing. I'm down 7 in 7 days, so I'm not complaining.  They let me have yogurt and cottage cheese now, and in a week move to the full mushies. I had some yogurt and it was great, but wow, half a container and I was stuffed!  I too can't wait for eggs and tuna, liquids are pretty boring.

The pain is better every day, but I still can't get comfortable at night as well.

It sounds like weer are all doing well. Yea for us!

Rachel

Rubydoo11917
on 2/9/17 5:04 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

I have found sleeping in the recliner is easiest on my tummy. Every few nights I give the bed a try. First several tries in bed I only lasted a few hours, then back to the recliner I went. Also when in bed I push a small pillow under my tummy when I am laying on my side. That seems to help relieve a lot of discomfort.

Hope this helps you get some rest.

Ruby

Most Active
Recent Topics