What do your splurge meals look like?

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/17 9:01 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I also just bought the sims vampires! I haven't gotten to try out all the vampire excitement yet. I bought both that and City Life since it was on sale. I'm very excited at the idea of living in an apartment with my sim.

And by splurge I definitely did mean a once in a great while thing for food, not a little cheat food once a week. More like, birthday dinner can have any sort of food you want type of deal.

comeundone
on 2/6/17 9:35 pm - OH

I just had a splurge day... I made crab legs,steak,shrimp and sugar free cheesecake oh and deviled eggs I think 
I was at 1400 calories for the day I'm 5+ years out and only 10 pounds from my lowest weight and my normal intake is around 1000. on softs my splurge was crab cakes (with no celery) 

HW 289  SW 242

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/17 10:26 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I love crab legs! Thank you for the answer, so far I have not gotten the answers I thought I would. I can understand people wanting to remain strict with food, but living on a diet my entire life without getting to have things I like here and there seems miserable to me. I got this to use as a tool for a better lifestyle and management of how I eat, not to completely get rid of the things I love. 

Shel25
on 2/7/17 8:42 am, edited 2/7/17 12:43 am

I am structured in my diet, not strict.  There is plenty of food lux in my life -- the real restriction is calorie excess.    So, it is hard to answer your question because nothing is entirely off limits.  I am much more picky, tho.  If birthday cake is white, I don't eat it cuz I don't love white cake. 

I was, however, both structured and strict in weight loss and never, ever regretted it.  

I think we go thru the stages of grief:   the loss of favorite foods, the loss of food volume, the loss of food as entertainment.  You are in the midst of it right now.  I wish you the best as you find new experiences to fill the void.  You can totally do it and it is totally worth it. 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Donna L.
on 2/7/17 6:28 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Haha, we can be dorks together!  And yeah, they had great deals.  City Life by itself is a ton of fun, too. 

No, I know what you mean.  I was mostly going on about my personal philosophy.  I talk too much >.>

I think you have a sensible idea for splurging/eating (we are basically saying the same thing).  Not everyone is on the same page, sadly.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/17 8:11 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Yes! I think maybe splurge was the wrong term to use since most are thinking I am asking what they like to binge on.

Cathy H.
on 2/6/17 10:49 pm, edited 2/6/17 2:53 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I understand where you're coming from mersh, and I did have one "splurge" recently.  Although it remained within my guidelines, I wanted something crunchy like chips so bad.  So for me, the splurge was pork rinds and salsa.  It wasn't tortilla chips, but it sure did satisfy that craving I was having for chips and dip!!  That's the closest to a splurge I've gotten.  While I'm in weight loss phase, I will not allow myself to do anything else.  

Once I'm in maintenance, tho, I fully intend to allow myself a slice of pizza once in a while, or some fries...things like that, but only on the rare occasion.  I fully intend to follow the low carb/high protein lifestyle the rest of my life.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/17 10:56 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Something crunchy sounds heavenly right now! I am only on soft foods so no crunch for me yet, but being able to at least chew made me feel so much better. I don't think I would feel so bad about "cheating" a little bit, especially since I am working out. I'm already much more active than I was before surgery, I take a 20 minutes walk every day and once I am cleared for lifting I plan to join a gym and start strength training to help my diet along.

Cathy H.
on 2/6/17 11:06 pm, edited 2/6/17 3:06 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I would like the caution you about the "cheating" mentality, tho.  That kind of thinking is what got most of us in the situations that required surgery in the first place.  The best thing you can do is just get that kind of thinking out of your mind completely.  You have to be committed to the high protein/low carb lifestyle permanently or you could end up like many we see here...coming back for help because they've "cheated" their way back up a hundred pounds.  We all fight the mental game, and giving in to those kinds of thoughts are the gateway back to our old habits.  

My mind was full of that kind of stuff when I was where you are, as well.  But once you are able to eat regular food, that you can chew, it gets better.  When I get to missing some of the old favorites, I make a point of finding recipes that are low carb options.  I adored Chicken Pot Pies before, but now, I've found some great low carb recipes that still give me that warm, home-cooked food feeling without all the pie crust and bad carbs.

Best of luck to you!! It gets easier, I swear.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/17 11:09 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I think you're right. My food is so limited that my mind is just going crazy with all the things out there that would be delicious to eat. I will be so happy when I am able to eat a real meal with normal consistencies. Soft foods are leagues better than pureed, but solids seem like a dream right now!

Most Active
Recent Topics