What do your splurge meals look like?

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/17 7:06 pm, edited 2/7/17 8:17 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Splurge was the wrong term! I do not mean things you may binge on and over eat. I meant little treats that arent exactly on diet. Sorry for the wrong use of the word splurge! I am in no way encouraging over eating or binging amd I am not wanting to binge on food myself. It was meant to be a light topic for fun.

I know not everyone splurges. You didn't do this surgery to splurge on junk food even once in awhile. However, not all of us are the same. I'm only on soft food currently, so no splurging for me. What are some of the splurge foods you guys enjoy, or meals you consider cheating?

Rachel B.
on 2/6/17 7:12 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I don't know about anyone else, but splurge meals turn into relapses. 

As close to a 'splurge' I get is a couple of protein bars. 

For me, this is sobriety.  I didn't take it so seriously once.  Had 'splurges' on pasta, pizza, bread with gorgonzola cheese heart - I was in northern italy, can't pass that up!  Well...  That's just me.  If some is good, more is better and too much is just enough.  It's been a ***** of a lesson.  But it's been mine.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/17 7:15 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I guess it depends on the person. Some people can have a splurge and that be the end of it. I'm sorry you had to learn a sad lesson like that and relapse on your progress. I hope you are back to where you want to be now though.

Sai F.
on 2/6/17 7:24 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

I'm sorry but I can't really think of any splurge foods but it is an interesting question.

I'm only a little over 5 months post-op so I haven't really been able to splurge per se. This is going to sound weird but my splurges are usually mental. For example, I have had thoughts like "Ok, today I'm really hungry, and I'm going to eat this and that, or get a second helping." I mean I really feel like letting loose at times lol...

But then, I don't. I get full fast on the 3 or 4 oz protein, and my mind goes back to the calm before the mental splurge. 

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Rachel B.
on 2/6/17 7:31 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I guess I could say I could call a splurge having 60 to 80 grams of ribeye instead of turkey or chicken.  that, for me, is a safe splurge.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Shel25
on 2/6/17 8:21 pm

Your question really got my attention. You are right, not all of us are the same.  But, maybe more importantly, I am not the same.

My splurges these days are generally non-food related: cross country skiing, physically active vacations, yoga studio memberships, quality clothes that fit.   I never need to opt out of any activity because of my size.  Does that count as a splurge?  I certainly savor every moment. 

If one is going to limit splurges to food, I suppose I value high quality foods, ideally prepared by people  I love.  And while I can hardly believe that I am going to type this next statement (who am I?) but these splurges are especially sweet when they are right sized for my current size.  

Plz don't get the wrong idea, I am no saint when it comes to food!!!!!!!   And I still love food.  But the term "pig out" implies overeating to my ears (I apologize if I am misinterpreting) and there is no lasting enjoyment from that. I know this, because I have done it.  :)   

Thanks for the thought provoking question. It helps me focus on what I really value tonight.....and it isn't the leftovers in the fridge

I hope my post doesn't strike you as offensive or as some sort of lecture, except, perhaps, for myself!  Best wishes for your journey!  So glad you are here.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/17 8:24 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

You are right, pig out does sound like over eating, I edited my post. I definitely did not mean over eating, mostly just little things you enjoy that aren't really considered part of a diet.

Gwen M.
on 2/7/17 4:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

YES!  These are my splurges too.  Training for 1/2 marathon, going to see Hamilton in May, being a college student.  I splurge on kindness to myself these days - not food.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 2/6/17 8:30 pm, edited 2/6/17 12:33 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Most of us are not really on exclusionary diets - we have changed our habits.  My diet omits a lot of food, however it is not exclusionary.  If the time is appropriate for those foods, I eat them.  I avoid certain foods to avoid metabolic damage and high insulin (insulin is awful for inflammation).   Don't get me wrong - I am terribly human and fail miserably sometimes!

I don't look at eating something off-plan as a "splurge," because I plan for everything.  This is where people with WLS succeed or fail.  I know it is inevitable I will lapse, as I have BED and a food addiction.  The question is: how do we minimize lapses?  That is by 1) being realistic about food and 2) no splurging.  

What this means is if I get someone to take me to the French Laundry, yes I will taste stuff!  I will not, however, make this more than a yearly occurrence. Splurges tend to be unplanned and that makes them dangerous.  I plan everything I eat, even the off-plan stuff.  As for true splurges?

My last splurge was the purchase of Sims 4: Vampires.  I have a huge Sim problem.  This was definitely unplanned purchase-wise.  No regrets.  Delicious vampires!

....aaand now everyone knows I'm a dork!

As for meals, I will (rarely) have su****raditionally made (sashimi, no rice) or some very expensive 90% dark chocolate.  I'd love to splurge on a steak, but I don't always digest leftovers well, and reheated rare steak makes me cry so I don't order it at restaurants.  I made low carb pho with extra bean sprouts instead of noodles, and that was a definite time splurge!  I enjoyed it but make it rarely.

My next splurge is to make fathead pizza (low carb).  It has some dairy in it so it is definitely a splurge, but I am only making a very small (3-4") crust.  Gluten free, at least.

I am very cautious to not eat sugary foods or certain fruits even, because these cause me to binge still.  Having said that, being on keto has made me creative in finding things I enjoy which are healthy.  I find things I found tart (skyr yogurt) extremely sweet now, even unsweetened, which is interesting.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Shel25
on 2/6/17 8:52 pm

Well, I now have to look into Sim!  I am full of dork.  

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Most Active
Recent Topics