Embarrassing...

Grim_Traveller
on 2/4/17 2:23 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Ouch. Whenever I eat too many carbs, I get gassy. Protein and fats never do it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Wyldblu
on 2/4/17 7:24 pm

I tend to eat a lot more protein than anything else...but do occasionally have some carbs. He did tell me to up my fiber and liquids.

Wyldblu

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/4/17 10:59 pm
VSG on 08/29/16
On February 5, 2017 at 3:24 AM Pacific Time, Wyldblu wrote:

I tend to eat a lot more protein than anything else...but do occasionally have some carbs. He did tell me to up my fiber and liquids.

Did they say that with an evil laugh while they were picturing you blowing diarrhea out your cheeks with enough force to launch a space shuttle? Or am I the only one? 

Valerie G.
on 2/5/17 1:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If this is happening more often, keep a food diary and you may be able to pinpoint what may be causing it.  Some things to watch for are:

• Sugar alcohols (artificial sweeteners - esp. those ending in 'tol'
  • lactose (might just be one dairy item and not all) - for me it was milk and whey protein
  • simple carbs - pasta is my personal devil
  • favorite staple or condiment (I discovered onions and terriyaki were no longer friendly)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CC C.
on 2/4/17 3:29 pm

Try doing Kegel exercises regularly. They strengthen your pelvic floor muscles and can help with strengthening the muscles that help you keep your gas in until you want it to come out!

White Dove
on 2/4/17 4:34 pm - Warren, OH

I was taking Celebrate Bariatric multivitamins.   I found out they were sweetened with sugar alcohol and when I switched to Centrum the problem went away.

Check you food and vitamins for sugar alcohols.  They end with -ilol like sorbitol and maltitol

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

McLassie
on 2/4/17 5:21 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

I'm gassy too. I'm at the six month mark and mine pretty much started when I began eating regular foods. I've NEVER had this problem pre-op. I'm also pretty constipated now. 

Sorry, TMI.

Lipsticklady
on 2/4/17 5:23 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

Girl...for my first 18 months post op, I kept a 6-pack (not a pair) of underwear in my car and a pair in my handbag.

I **** you not.  I **** myself often.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Wyldblu
on 2/4/17 7:26 pm

OMG! LOL. This happened to me ONCE...at work...but luckily, nobody saw..and I was able to get rid of the evidence. lol

Wyldblu

AggieMae
on 2/4/17 7:16 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I wasn't much of a Carter before WLS and now it happens so rarely that it surprises me.

My husband's theory is that I eat very slowly and don't swallow much air. The surgeon, who works with my husband often, laughed when I first mention this, but she actually thinks he might have a point.

Most Active
Recent Topics