Lots of Burping-5 weeks out

Nura777
on 1/28/17 11:56 am, edited 1/28/17 12:35 pm

Wondering if this is normal...since yesterday I have experiencin lots of burping! I thought I would have more gas immediately post op, not several weeks later. It's not painful. But if I raise my arms, I burp lol. If I press my stomach, I burp! Just burp burp and more burping. 

Gwen M.
on 1/28/17 2:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It almost seems like you might be swallowing too much air while drinking?  If you're not already, you might consider using a straw to limit your air intake.  Or vice versa.  For some people straws help with controlling air, for others they have the opposite effect.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nura777
on 1/28/17 2:46 pm

Thanks Gwen. I will definitely try a straw! 

The burping got better after I just ate, but as I move to solids my throat is raw as I eat ugh. I am worried that years of living with lapband although out for almost one year before the sleeve that my esphogeous is damaged with another procedure?? Is it normal to have your throat feel so raw this early out? 

I am also trying not to be too paranoid about leaks! Since am band revision so there's a higher risk :(  There's a bit of a cold going around my home, so I am also closely monitoring my temperature, no fever.  But I started arm excercises two days ago and in hindsight that was a bad idea lol...There's a pressure in my left shoulder more so than my right and some tingling. But no pain thank god! 

Clearly I am a ball of anxiety  lol. 

Gwen M.
on 1/28/17 4:27 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hm.  Have you talked to your surgeon about the raw feeling?  It's normal to have a raw throat for a bit after surgery, due to tubes, but 5 weeks seems long, so I'd ask to be safe.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nura777
on 1/28/17 4:51 pm

It just started in the last two days, since I started eating more solids. I will switch back to mushh foods for a bit. I feel like am always calling my surgeons office and he's in a different  city. I will call his nurse on Monday. I wonder if it's acid reflux? 

patchoulli
on 1/29/17 4:19 pm - port charlotte, FL

I hadn't realized you were an ex band member...So am I.  Are you taking a proton pump inhibitor?  The burning in the throat could very well be acid.  I have had it for years, ever since my band.  

Nura777
on 1/29/17 4:30 pm

Yep, I am on a ppi. It's better today, will keep eye on it. Funny thing, I never had acid reflux with my band until the very end. All my ECGs were clear, So I thought if it didn't happen with the damn band....I should be fine with the sleeve. We shall see, it's early days. 

Anita
on 1/28/17 4:21 pm

Hi Nura.  I loved Gwen's response.....I was thinking the same thing, so she beat me to it.

I had some burping too in the early months. It seemed to go away once I got a better handle on how to eat. I also revised from a lap band - it was removed in March and my sleeve was done in June. I had a hiatal hernia repair done at that time.

What I deal with now is that if I eat even two bites too much, I get the hiccups. It lasts for a little while and is a good reminder that once I get my stop signal, I need to stop. I've gotten good at it, but sometimes it kind of sneaks up on me.

Either way, straw or no straw, I suspect your burping will ease up soon. If not, be sure to discuss it with your doctor along with any other concerns you may have.

Best of everything on your journey and in case I missed it earlier....welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Most Active
Recent Topics