Well this is different.

Lisa.17
on 1/28/17 10:06 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Three weeks, two days out. My last nutritionist visit I was told their goal for me reflected that of the hospital where I had the surgery done - cautiously, slowly eat anything you want, if it hurts stop, go back to softer. Wait a few days, try again. This time I was told my eventual goal was 2000 calories per day of healthy choice foods. Protein, veggies, small amount of fats, keep it healthy. Add exercise as tolerated, stay hydrated. Common sense advice which is starting to make me think they're treating me like I'm serious about what I'm doing and giving me more credit than I gave myself, so that mystery may be solved.

This past week I started introducing more foods albeit soft. A bit of potato. Soft meat (flaked tuna in water). Soft oatmeal. But real food. I'm still on the protein shakes and struggling to get it all in so the real foods are a bit here, a bit there as tolerated. My calories are around 500-600 and I'm walking and working much more around the house than I have in a decade, so that's progress. Minor health problems that were really bugging me have disappeared completely so HALLELUJAH. I've even done some shopping with family and walking on my own. Again, something I haven't been able to do in years, literally. I had a hard time just getting up and across a room before. Couldn't stand more than 30 minutes at a stretch without being in the kind of pain that makes you desperate.

I've heard this is the week the stall happens. With me, as soon as something other than protein shakes and a bit of soft fruit touched my lips I promptly gained two pounds. Kind of despaired over that but it is what it is. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and have faith it'll pass.

As for the different part, my family celebrated a birthday this past week as well as several delicious dinners (prepared by me), all my favorites, and not to be a whiner but that was hard. It's still hard. Making it, not tasting, not sharing, sitting kind of by myself to the side smelling the smells but not being able to join in. But there's the difference. While making the birthday cake the devil sat on my shoulder and told me I could have some and it wouldn't matter. Just a little wouldn't kill me. I surprised myself by refusing. Consciously refusing. That is not my way. Never has been.

The birthday cake sat on the counter covered for two days while my family sort of picked at it every now and then and finally when I saw it begin to wilt I told them if no one wanted anymore I was going to throw it in the garbage and I meant it. I wasn't even tempted to try any. So a bit of mental progress. I can see that if I want to succeed I'm going to have to do the work, and the difference between then and now is somehow a switch has flipped and I begin to want the work. It feels so strange but at the same time good. Like that gut feeling you get when you know you're making the right choice. Sorry so long, thanks for letting me get this out. 

stupin
on 1/28/17 10:27 am
VSG on 01/06/17

Thank you for posting this. . I am 1 day behind you I too have gain 3 lbs out of the blue after starting soft foods.. I thought I was doing something wrong after following the plan.. walking and all.. I was waiting for the 3 week stall but wasn't thinking of a weight gain.. I will wait it out and keep on the plan..good luck to you

happyteacher
on 1/28/17 11:51 am

Glad to see you made some progress on the head hunger aspect. That is usually the toughest part- especially right around the 6 week or so mark when people are once again able to introduce a wider range of food. I would encourage you to keep you calories low- around 800 or so for at least a couple of months. Then only if hunger is more of an issue ramp up a 100 or 200 calories. Once you ramp up it is very difficult to ramp it back down. Even in my case, I did ramp up but I was exercising hard for 1.5 hours a day or so. This worked for me, but you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet or one too laden with calories. 

Love to read that you feel so much better this soon out- that is so reinforcing and will really help you to stay the path!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Readyjwc
on 1/28/17 12:09 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Congrats Lisa - every baby step is one towards your goal! Get your mind in gear and everything else will follow. So proud of you.

Keep strong!

Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Shel25
on 1/28/17 12:54 pm

Good for you!!!   That is mental progress!  I frequently use the same technique....focusing on what I want and what has already improved makes "just a little" easier to skip.  

I'm truly excited for you! You are creating a new normal for yourself. 

Please re-consider being the go-to person for celebratory foods.  Be fierce in protecting this weight loss phase!   

I echo what Teacher said above.....beware of calories.  During weight loss phase, I was usually eating 500-600 calories per day once I recovered from surgery and generally didn't increase calories until all the weight was gone.  I am not saying that is "right,"  but rather giving you another viewpoint from someone that was at a similar starting weight.  I am just shy of 5'4," by the way.   

Best wishes.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

cappy11448
on 1/28/17 7:43 pm, edited 1/28/17 11:44 am

Hi Lisa,

Your post made me so happy. You are doing great, and you are making such important changes in your life-style. I see myself in you, and I anticipate great success for you.

Keep up the good work

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics