Fallen off the wagon in more ways than one

Hiraeth
on 1/25/17 7:03 am, edited 1/24/17 11:03 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

@hollykim Are you saying I don't have knowledge? Because I most certainly do. I didn't just jump into that idea without doing research. I also wondered if it was just for the Bypass, but it said the term derives from the pouch that is formed with the Bypass. Some people even call it the post-op reset. So no, it isn't always literal. I wouldn't say that unless I did research or asked Nutritionists about it. Even my surgeon talks about the reset.

I mean, I've talked to several people who call it that. Maybe in the future, I'll just call it the post-op reset.

hollykim
on 1/25/17 12:15 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 25, 2017 at 3:03 PM Pacific Time, Hiraeth wrote:

@hollykim Are you saying I don't have knowledge? Because I most certainly do. I didn't just jump into that idea without doing research. I also wondered if it was just for the Bypass, but it said the term derives from the pouch that is formed with the Bypass. Some people even call it the post-op reset. So no, it isn't always literal. I wouldn't say that unless I did research or asked Nutritionists about it. Even my surgeon talks about the reset.

I mean, I've talked to several people who call it that. Maybe in the future, I'll just call it the post-op reset.

no,I said nothing about your knowledge. I sail those of us who have had wls should speak with knowledge.

Hiraeth
on 1/25/17 1:57 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

My mistake. Even though I'm only (almost) 6 months post-op, I have learned a lot. I never would recommend something so major unless I did my research and/or talked to others about it. Then again, it would probably be easier to do a 5 day meat "reset". I'm trying to listen to different people and take in as much info as I can, because I plan on knowing a lot about something that has given me my life back so quickly. 

ipray
on 1/24/17 8:14 am
VSG on 11/06/14

So true!  Maintenance is a new phase to learn, just like reaching my goal weight was a phase.  Need to learn how to transfer from one thing to another.  Thank you for you suggestions.  And you are correct, the mental has not caught back up to my new body yet.

Gwen M.
on 1/24/17 4:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The good news is that you've done it before and you can do it again.  Start by logging everything that you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.  Then, work to get the alcohol under control.  If you're not going to AA meetings or seeing a therapist, start doing those things ASAP.  

From there, yes, get back to your basics.  Here are mine, but yours might be slightly different:  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
   a. Do NOT drink during meals or for 30 minutes after eating
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

You can do this.  You have a past record of success.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ipray
on 1/24/17 8:18 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you Gwen!  In reading your list I have realized that I haven't been doing half of what I was doing during weight loss.  The biggest thing that helped me lose the weight was going to this site everyday, which I haven't been doing.  Thank you for your support!!! 

Rachel B.
on 1/24/17 5:29 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Hi!!  You're here.  I've walked the same path, but I walked it much, much longer.

As you can see above, my surgery was in 2008.  Short version - my parents got really sick in 2010, and I guess you could say I did too, cos I married a verbally and emotionally abusive man.  How does one with a sleeve survive?  My unhealthy choice was to drink.

My parents made it through.  I got a divorce.  And I am 4&1/2 years sober.

In October, I got back here 95 pounds over my lowest weight.  I started eating right, and my tool started working again.  I've lost 31 pounds since then, and I'm still truckin'.

You can do it, if you stop the bad habits now, and get back to the basics.

Just stay here.  This support makes all the difference.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

ipray
on 1/24/17 8:26 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Boy are you an inspiration!!!  And you are correct, the support her is everything!  I have been avoiding anything that is a reminder that I am heading down the wrong path.  I need to start holding myself accountable.  So glad your parents are OK and that you are no longer in an abusive relationship and that you are sober.  What an accomplishment!  Keep up the good work and thank you so much for taking the time to support me.

KittyKarin
on 1/24/17 5:47 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi Ipray!

It's great that you recognize the need to stop and reset your actions.  I agree that you don't need to do a "pouch reset" or go back to liquids.  That can feel like a punishment and  you don't need to pay penance to anyone for gaining 15 pounds.  That can backfire on  you anyway and cause you to binge.  You aren't bad; you just ate and drank things that aren't as healthy as you wanted to eat.  Don't beat yourself up! 

To get back on track after losing my way for a while, I had to work on the mental aspect way more than just focusing on strict eating.  I did go back to my basic food and started cutting out processed carbs but I also started reading Overeaters Anonymous literature, watching inspiring stories on youtube about weight loss and listening to Weight Loss Surgery and other weight related podcasts.  That helped me get my mind around the changes I wanted to make.  

I have to have all 3 in place to stay successful: Mind, Eating and Exercise.  Be kind to yourself and reach out for help wherever you need it. Good luck!! 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

ipray
on 1/24/17 8:31 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you for your kind words! You are correct about paying penance, I just need focus on doing what I should be doing and not beat myself up over losing my way.  Yes, ME! Mind/ Eating.  (I am not big on the exercise, but would like to add it back when I can get the Mind/Eating under control).  Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics