HOW IMPORTANT IS PROTEIN??

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/26/17 3:38 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

PS went well thanks!  I am 15 days post-op and mostly back to normal.  I had a TT and facelift.  I am almost 100% straight when I walk now. I still have some slight bruising and swelling from the facelift but it can be concealed with makeup now. 

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Readyjwc
on 1/26/17 3:48 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Awesome - congratulations!

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

jachristmas
on 1/23/17 2:01 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I am almost 6 weeks out and I am getting at least 70g of protein a day..I drinks shakes, and regularly eat fish and cottage cheese, since they are high in protein for even the small amounts I can eat at a meal. My surgeon is pleased with the rate at which I am losing. He said he can tell I am taking in enough protein to maintain my muscle and that is what he wants for me.

Lipsticklady
on 1/23/17 4:25 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

If you aren't eating protein, what are you eating?

My new lifestyle is ALWAYS protein first.  Once I eat some protein, I allow myself veggies and then complex carbs.  The protein fills me up and keeps me full.  When I consume carbs, I am usually hungry in an hour or so.

So what's your daily menu?

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

cappy11448
on 1/23/17 4:29 pm

I'll just second what everyone else said.  Protein is really important to your health.  If you don't get enough, your body starts to break down muscle to get the nutrients it needs, and this harms you.  Its not about whether you can lose weight without it - its about keeping our bodies healthy especially when we are losing weight fast.

I couldn't stomach sweet protein drinks after surgery, but I was always able to make my numbers.  I'd add unflavored protein powder to anything I could stir. - chicken broth, soups, yogurt, sugar-free jello, puddings, ricotta cheese, etc. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

OutsideMatchInside
on 1/23/17 7:14 pm
VSG on 07/15/15

I have between 100-130 grams of protein a day. I would say it is super important and I get my protein from real food. If I didn't keep my protein high, I don't think I would have ever lost this much.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Oneillch
on 1/23/17 8:58 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Cut your calories & you'll lose weight, but if you're not getting your 60+ grams of protein you're going to lose muscle. Don't worry about what other people you know are doing. Follow the plan your doctor or nutritionist has. You don't need protein bars or shakes if you're getting in your protein from what you're eating, but in order to know that you need to be tracking what you eat! 

DubfromBP
on 1/26/17 4:43 pm
VSG on 10/13/15

I'm amazed that people can get 150+ grams of protein a day off real food and not take on so many calories that weight loss is impeded.  

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

diane S.
on 1/30/17 11:14 am

protein is indeed critical. For one thing, it makes you feel sated and you have less room to eat unhealthy stuff. It also helps prevent muscle loss during rapid weight loss and I personally think it decreases hair loss. My doctor says its the engine that drives everything and that most people, obese or not, don't get enough. I hate the shakes but used them until I got to goal. Now I don't use them but always follow the "protein first" rule.  When my weight loss got really slow, dr. told me to up my protein and I did and it worked. gl.  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics