My doctor's diet seems different than every other posted diet.

akindofmagick
on 1/18/17 6:29 am, edited 1/17/17 10:29 pm - MD

My surgeon's protocol included Unjury protein shake packets and 2% milk delivered at every meal while still in the hospital. And jello. And clear broth that was so salty I couldn't drink it.

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

rachelp
on 1/18/17 9:03 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I was really never on clear liquids before or after surgery....just the day of. The day out of the hospital my "liquid" diet was yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese, creamy soups and even soups like chicken & stars and thinned out scrambled eggs. I didn't feel comfortable so I stuck with more liquid type stuff like clear broths, and thin pureed soups with no chunks.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

theAntiChick
on 1/18/17 11:38 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Every physician has a slightly different protocol, informed by their training and their experiences with their patient populations.

Mine had what she called a "modified fast" for 2 weeks pre-op.  It was 2-3 protein shakes a day, plus a "healthy meal" and allowed for fruit or protein snacks that were low in fat and refined sugar.  She said she doesn't do anything more severe unless she sees signs of an enlarged liver.

Post op, I was on clear liquids the rest of the day of surgery, and started protein shakes day 2 at the hospital.  She likes to make sure we're able to keep fluids down well before she releases us.  Then it was 2 weeks on full liquids (protein shakes, greek yogurt, pudding included), then 2 weeks building up on soft foods.  She skips puree because she says if your teeth work fine, there's no mechanical difference between puree and soft.  Then it was slowly adding firmer foods for the next month with a few things excluded (seeds, things that swell, etc.) and then a full diet at about 4-6 weeks.

My doc doesn't push low carb.  She supports it if the patient wants to do it, but doesn't push for it.  She says if the patient isn't inclined, they don't tend to stay on it, and she's mostly concerned with something that's maintain-able.  I personally get VERY ill in ketosis, so I can't do very low carb anyway.  Our plan is to avoid sugars (except in fruit) and refined carbs, and of course focus on protein goals first.  By 6 weeks, she wanted me working up towards 1,000 kcal/day and by 6 months out she wants me at about 1,200 kcal/day and adjust it based on my activity level.  She doesn't like keeping patients at very low caloric intake, because we want the metabolism to get back to normal and not regulate to the lower level.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/17 5:34 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

That diet sounds a lot like mine right now. Today is my last day of just clear liquids and tomorrow I can have blended soups, drinkable yogurt and the such. I'm excited about yogurt.

Travelher
on 1/18/17 8:51 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

And that is pretty much exactly what I'm following.  I'm in the 900-1000 calorie range at 3.5 months.  Ruined my old metabolism with low calorie yoyo dieting.  Now that I have a reset I don't want to ruin this new baby metabolism, like I did the old one.

FuturePinUp
on 1/19/17 6:32 pm

Each doctor's plan is different. Doesn't mean you won't be successful! I was on mushy solids Day 1 post-op (in the hospital they gave me tuna salad) and have lost 182 lbs. since then. As long as you follow the plan, you GOT this! :)

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Valerie G.
on 1/21/17 9:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My surgeon had me on soft solids before I left the hospital 4 days post op.  I was released with anything goes, taking it slow at first with tenderest of meats.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/17 10:20 am
VSG on 01/12/17

It's amazing how many differences there are. Our tummies must be pretty tough as long as we don't try and overdo anything in the beginning!

Most Active
Recent Topics