Very full feeling

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 8:35 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I know it is common to not be hungry, but is it normal to feel full and maybe even a tad bloated with nothing in you but liquids? That's how I feel at the moment and it's driving me crazy. Makes it hard to sleep. Is there something I should be concerned with, or could it be the big C. (constipation).

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 9:33 am - CA

You are only 4 days post op, so the feeling of being bloated is probably coming from the gas they used to expand your abdominal area during surgery.    I had RNY, but I think that overall, everyone struggles this early with getting food in and sometimes even liquids.  We are just not hungry and the desire to eat is gone, so we have to really focus on making sure we do eat and drink regularly.   

if you do not have a regular BM within a few days, contact your surgeon to check in.  They will probably tell you to take some miralax, but it is best to discuss that with them and let them direct you.    

Sleeping was hard for me. I think for the first month, I was uncomfortable, but I also had Open RNY.   However, again, you should see some improvements as the days progress.  It will get better, I promise! 

Just give yourself some time to adjust to everything and things will get moving on all levels.  Stick to your post op diet plan and keep drinking, you definitely do not want to get dehydrated.  

Nik  

White Dove
on 1/16/17 9:35 am - Warren, OH

At four days out, there is a lot of swelling inside.  It takes several weeks for that to go down.  I drank an ounce of water every 15 minutes while awake.  Once the swelling went down, I was comfortable with 8-12 ounces at a time.

It is important to get the water in so you do not get dehydrated but you do not want to drink so much that you are too full and bloated.

You should be on stool softeners.  If you need something stronger, try milk of magnesia.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 11:04 am
VSG on 10/31/16

After my VSG, a couple of days out, I did feel hungry. I think it took a while for my hormones to settle as well as the mental aspects. I was kind of freaked out but the hungry feeling subsided over time. As far as the full/bloated feeling I agree with the aforementioned posts. 

Valerie G.
on 1/16/17 4:30 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Did you drink any milk, or anything else containing lactose or whey?  I blow up like a blimp with any of that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 4:31 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I hadn't! Though I feel much less bloated now, I think I was just over thinking it.

Notaboutperfect
on 1/16/17 8:47 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

I agree with the above posts-so soon after surgery you're swollen and full of air. Walk, drink, and be gentle. I wanted to add that the first month I found myself really "dialed in" to my body. In a way I'd never been before. It was like I was new to myself and had to learn all the new cues for hunger, gas, heartburn, and head hunger. It was an uncomfortable time, but kinda awesome too. 

Most Active
Recent Topics