Angry brain and protein battle (aka Lisa enjoys a large glass of whine)

theAntiChick
on 1/15/17 1:40 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I'd advise calling your team and getting clarification on the 3 meals restriction.  I know when I was newly post-op, I was having to drink (sip sip sip) on my protein shakes and drinks ALL DAY LONG in order to get my fluids and protein in.  I couldn't have possibly stuck to

I know when I was newly post-op, I was having to drink (sip sip sip) on my protein shakes and drinks ALL DAY LONG in order to get my fluids and protein in.  I couldn't have possibly stuck to a 3 meals a day structure and gotten anywhere near appropriate nutrients/protein in.  My surgeon had said that early on, they weren't concerned with the x-meals-a-day structure, the goal was do whatever it takes to get fluids in (#1 priority) and protein in (#2 priority).  AFTER I was on solid food, I was supposed to move to a 5-6 small meal a day structure, and get away from grazing, since it's easy to overdo the calories if you're eating constantly.  But for at least the first 4-5 weeks, it was a "do whatever it takes" for the fluids and protein.

I have talked to people several years out who were restricted to 3 meals a day from very early on, but when I questioned further, it was 3 meals a day, PLUS 2 protein shake "snacks".  Different people interpret words like "meal" and "snack" differently, and sometimes the instructions from the medical team aren't as clear as they could be.

If your team says that yes, you are supposed to only "eat" 3x a day, I would ask about some of the clear protein drinks like Syntrax nectar and see if those are OK between the "meals" to boost your protein.  There are others like Isopure and Atkins Lift and Protein2O, Syntrax is just the one I really liked.  I used the roadside lemonade flavor, and would freeze it into ice pop tubes for a variation, anything to get the fluids and protein in.

Good luck!!

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Lisa.17
on 1/15/17 2:02 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Thanks AntiChick. That sounds like sensible advice I'll keep in mind. I'm going to have to do something differently, what's happening now isn't working. Also, I have no medical team just a GP and a new nutritionist (21-22 years old?) who are both unfamiliar. I've had to correct the nutritionist a couple times. 

SO what have I learned. May have to have more than three meals a day. Water first priority, protein second. Find protein drinks, fit them in between meals.

theAntiChick
on 1/15/17 2:16 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Sorry, new here on OH and didn't realize you weren't stateside.

My research has indicated that there's a lot of crossover between the protein stuff the bodybuilders are using and the protein stuff for WLS patients.  The biggest issue I've found is that a lot of the bodybuilder protein companies have been called out and named in a suit for "spiking" their products with amino acids that will make some tests show more protein in the product, but aren't actually usable for building muscle in the body.  In theory the products that are claiming "medical grade" are a higher quality, but none of it is really regulated.  You kinda have to go by reputation.  I've actually learned a lot about protein synthesis and such from the bodybuilding websites and resources as I've researched it.

The main thing I'd look for is that the protein source is whey or eggwhites or there's even some soy based and pea based ones out there for the people who are vegan.  There are a lot of products that have a collagen source, especially the "protein shot" products.  The information I've found is conflicting about whether the collagen source is as good as whey for WLS patients (and for body builders for that matter).  My team said that unless you have an issue tolerating whey, they consider it the gold standard.  And they like to see more than 20g of protein per serving in a shake given the choice.

I don't know if it's available to you, but I've been QUITE happy with GenePro.  There's some controversy over the scientific claims, they say they have managed to compress the protein down and get the equivalent of 30g in a 1 tablespoon serving.  Other unflavored powders like Unjury or Syntrax have 15g per tablespoon.  I like the GenePro because it dissolves better and doesn't affect texture as much as the others I named - which are also good and don't really affect flavor, but I'm very sensitive to texture.  Some people will only count the GenePro as 15g because of the dispute over the science.  I still count it as 30, but I'm getting 90+ g in a day (most days, anyway) so if I'm overcounting it's not too big of a deal.

At least here stateside, I was able to find samplers with different flavors for most of the major medical protein shake brands and find the ones that worked the best for me.  I hope you're able to do the same, because it really helped me.  :)

Good luck!  You've got a challenge with a lack of medical team support.  I'm a RN, and I've talked to people stateside who had no idea what they were supposed to do post-op, so it's not necessarily the German medical system, but I get the sense there are more options stateside.  There's a lot of information out on the 'net though, just use a little caution with your sources. :D

Lisa.17
on 1/15/17 2:26 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Excellent! I'm using whey protein at the moment so at least that's right. Interesting (and sad) info on your research. I'll look for more on that. Disturbing. No access to Genepro but both my mom and sister in the states use it. It's supposed to be the best. Samplers, yes! Crossing my fingers. More options in the U.S., definitely, maybe because there's more profit to be made from it? Less demand here? But last I heard Germany was the 3rd heaviest nation in Europe. They better get crackin'. I bookmarked your blog. :) Thanks for your thoughts!

theAntiChick
on 1/15/17 2:39 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Dunno, maybe more regulation on food products in Germany?  I haven't had the opportunity to travel overseas, though I want to, so I don't really know how anything works as an expat other than what my sis (she was an expat in S. Korea for 5 years) told me and what I've read.  :)

I don't know what the laws are regarding shipping things from friends/family in the states, and wouldn't want to advise anything illegal, but I know my sister would have our Mom buy things here that sis couldn't get over there and ship them.  Could you have a friend/relative buy it here and ship it over?  A little more expensive, and I wouldn't suggest it for ready-to-drink because of the weight, but powders might be doable without too much expense?

And you're more than welcome.  As a nurse, I am driven to share what I find out about things, and I am a research hound.  LOL.  And at least for the rest of 2017, I have access to a University Medical Library because I'm in grad school, so I can find ALL SORTS of interesting things.  Mwahahaha.  LOL.

Rachel B.
on 1/15/17 2:52 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

God bless you.  i am so over research...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 1:26 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Definitely more food regulation here which turns out to be a good thing actually. No complaints I'll just have to adjust.

You wouldn't believe how expensive it is to ship things here from the States. As a rule I tell my family not to. One year my mother was adamant about sending gifts for a new baby, four boxes of clothes and toys, over $400 in shipping alone. Crazy.

I'm a fellow research hound but probably not to the level you are. You're SO lucky to have access to the med library! I love reading those journals but very often the good stuff is membership only.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/17 2:07 pm

Lisa...Yea..IT sucks. First few weeks..Then first few months...Then when you think "I've got that" life may throw you another curve ball and you we would think how badly this thing sucks. 

Then comes the goal...And maintenance... And the real fun begins.  Never ending story.... It gets better..Then worse... Rollercoaster...If anyone tells you different story...Just wait...Their time has not come yet. Or they are extremely lucky... 

For first few weeks water - getting liquids in tramps anything else.  Get that liquid in you anyway you can - cold - hot - warm...Plain or flavored.. or use chicken stock.. Whatever works. 

In week 4-5 and after you may really try to get the minimum 60gr of proteins per day... But using protein shakes counts as liquid and proteins... So even long term post op - if I can't get enough "food"  for a few days - I get some shakes... Rtd premade or mix my own powder. 

Stay hydrated. The rest - later..

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lisa.17
on 1/15/17 2:14 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

I've heard about some of those curve balls. It's like life requires balance. You do well in one area it's determined to knock you back in another. Maybe this is to keep us humble, who knows. I only know I've seen it happen time and again and it never fails. I'm writing everything down, thanks for your thoughts.

Rachel B.
on 1/15/17 2:20 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Can you send a link to your German amazon site so I can see what they have available?

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Most Active
Recent Topics