Fueling for training

michellemj
on 1/14/17 5:32 am

I run, a lot. Currently training for a marathon, in addition to running several halfs. On average, I log 25-30 miles a week.

For me, I do not eat anything before I run. My stomach can't handle it. It also rebels to gels and chews and all of that. For me, I sip Tailwind while I run. and postworkout, I try to get a protein shake down.

I do not eat any different. and my version of "carbo loading" is simply su****he night before an event. Some carb, lots of protein.

califsleevin
on 1/15/17 1:08 pm - CA

The bit of common advice that I got from my RD for this situation (she is more of a fitness oriented RD, associated with my PCP rather than a bariatric RD - all the better as far as I'm concerned as the sleeve doesn't need that much special attention, nutrition-wise) is to precede the workout with a meal/snack that is relatively high in complex carbohydrates, moderate in protein and low to moderate in fat. What I settled on that worked for me in extending my swimming beyond an hour where I usually hit a wall was a small meat and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread or toast a half hour to hour ahead of time. A peanut butter sandwich, being lower in protein but higher in fat didn't work as well for me. The pre-feeding didn't seem to do much for my strength training workouts even though they often stretched to 90 minutes, give or take. So, the activity does seem to make a difference as to what is needed to fuel it, so experiment with things. My nephew, who is an RD in training, likes some of the CLIF bars for that purpose as many have the appropriate profile, even if they aren't the "ideal" high protein product typically sited for weight loss.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics