A few question for VSGers who are at least 3 months post-op

heidikat72
on 1/3/17 8:21 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

I returned to work (started a new job actually) at 2 weeks which was fine by my surgeon since I have a desk job. You'll have a lifting restriction for a while so if you have more of a manual labor job, you may need longer. I honestly wish I had taken an extra week though. Not because of pain but because I returned to work on the same day I was transitioning from full liquids to purees and had to start separating out eating and drinking. So I wish I had taken a couple of days to get that routine down before returning to work, I was also very very tired that first week back. I would recommend asking for more time off than you think you'll need and then if you can go back to work sooner, great.

I was only allowed walking for the first 6 weeks. My surgeon didn't want us lifting anything over 20lbs (I think, it might have been 10lbs though) or doing any serious core exercises until we had healed a bit.

Hair loss does seem to be common - although not necessarily a given. And there seems to be great variation regarding degree. And the good thing is that is does seem to be temporary. I've lost a lot but fortunately had a ton of hair to begin with so it isn't too noticeable to anyone other than me and my hairdresser. And my hairdresser commented a couple weeks ago that he's seeing a lot of new growth come back in already so that's a good sign. For reference, I'm 6 months post op.

rachelp
on 1/3/17 8:32 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Welcome!

1. 1 week
  2. 6 weeks
  3. yes

Good luck!

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Fredbear
on 1/26/18 7:33 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

Hi Dave,

1. 6 days, though I really slagged off for another week or so. I took advantage of working from home when possible so I wouldn't fall asleep at my desk at work. If I had had the time, I would have stayed out 3 weeks.
  2. My surgeon wouldn't let me lift more than 10# until 2 months had passed. Then I just resumed my normal weightlifting at the gym.
  3. The ladies here have stories of both hair loss and no hair loss... I actually had a huge growth in facial hair after surgery, and it has remained that way. I used to shave every 3 or 4 days, and now if I don't shave every other day I get really scruffy. I'm bald, so even if I lost hair I wouldn't really be able to tell ;-)

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Most Active